Rider down - Brackenhurst Swartkoppies

The Ouzo

Was in the morning, probably 7 or 8 am.

My mom and sister have been with him yesterday, details have been around his condition rather than the incident, I’m going through shortly to see him and try and get more details.

So just come back from seeing him.

Was around 10:30 when it happened and wasn’t Brackenhurst but more Alberante. Just past the fire station.

A car coming from the opposite direction wanted to turn to my dads left.

He must have just clipped my dad enough to send him flying as there is no evidence of the impact on the bike.

From the injuries to my dad and his helmet it looks like he landed on his back, lots of abrasions on the back, the ribs are broken at the back not the front and helmet cracked at the back.

Dad is doing ok, more discomfort than pain. If they can get a back brace custom made for him tomorrow they’ll send him home.

So just come back from seeing him.

Was around 10:30 when it happened and wasn’t Brackenhurst but more Alberante. Just past the fire station.

A car coming from the opposite direction wanted to turn to my dads left.

He must have just clipped my dad enough to send him flying as there is no evidence of the impact on the bike.

From the injuries to my dad and his helmet it looks like he landed on his back, lots of abrasions on the back, the ribs are broken at the back not the front and helmet cracked at the back.

Dad is doing ok, more discomfort than pain. If they can get a back brace custom made for him tomorrow they’ll send him home.

I’ll ask around on the local Whatsapp groups if anyone reported anything. Assuming he was riding towards Alberton, if it’s after the fire station then it can only be Michelle Ave or Phantom Str. These are the only streets that allow a left turn.

ARGH. Sorry to here ouzo. Heal up quickly senior ouzo!!!!! 

Keep us posted please. Hope the perpetrator is caught and justice is served.

Just read your post... so sorry to hear that your Dad Has become another Alberton statistic.My prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery.

I’ll ask around on the local Whatsapp groups if anyone reported anything. Assuming he was riding towards Alberton, if it’s after the fire station then it can only be Michelle Ave or Phantom Str. These are the only streets that allow a left turn.

Firestation would have been on his left, he was headed towards brackenhurst to his office.

The road dips down there and it was at or near the bottom of the dip where it happened.

Dad has been home since Monday. Feeling rather uncomfortable as he has to lie on his back but his back is full of road rash.

I'm still trying to work out exactly how he got hit. The only signs on his bike that he came off are some scratches on the one side and a slight buckle on the rear wheel, but the buckle is so slight that it might even have been there before (although knowing my dad if he knew it was there he would have sorted it out)

Firestation would have been on his left, he was headed towards brackenhurst to his office.

The road dips down there and it was at or near the bottom of the dip where it happened.

Dad has been home since Monday. Feeling rather uncomfortable as he has to lie on his back but his back is full of road rash.

I'm still trying to work out exactly how he got hit. The only signs on his bike that he came off are some scratches on the one side and a slight buckle on the rear wheel, but the buckle is so slight that it might even have been there before (although knowing my dad if he knew it was there he would have sorted it out)

Got it, thanks.

That road is called Hibiscus, and is a left turn only for traffic in the same direction he was travelling.

Got it, thanks.

That road is called Hibiscus, and is a left turn only for traffic in the same direction he was travelling.

can only be, after that it starts to climb again and the next road is up the top.

Looking at Google street view I'm starting to think my dad hit the curb with his back when he fell, it would explain the injuries.