DIY Trailer Top Bike Rack

Sbloomer

Hi all

I have an offroad trailer, on top of which I carry 3 bikes.  Currently they are on Holdfast Top Runner and Thunderbolt Racks, but the problem is the racks simply aren't strong enough or sturdy enough to deal with the forces associated, with the movement on a trailer on really bad roads. After a 5000km trip I am left with racks that have ended up self destructing, with bent brackets, stripped bolts and damaged paintwork on the bikes.

So now I am looking for a solution with a rack that I can bolt directly onto the trailer rack.

Has anyone built their own trailer-top racks that can provide some ideas and solutions?

Thanks and have a great new year.

If you have the cash, check out the frontrunner stuff... Their racks are great and they have specific bike attachments too, mainly fork and wheel based.

My build.a92a4e2a47fe60f68b28b2ac1c736d17.jpg

Thanks  That looks quite simple and pretty sturdy.  Does it fold down when not in use?

Happy New Year to you.

Be careful with trailer mounted bike racks, particularly “ fork mounted” ones.

The lateral forces can shear the bottom of the fork on rough roads. ( I saw several at the Dash over the years and once even found one on the Swartberg pass.

If you take bikes on a trailer on rough roads, it’s better to have them standing on their wheels.

Beware also of stone chips or coarse sand flying up and doing some fancy patterns on your paintwork. ( learned that the hard way too???? )

Happy New Year to you.

The lateral forces can shear the bottom of the fork on rough roads. ( I saw several at the Dash over the years and once even found one on the Swartberg pass.

If you take bikes on a trailer on rough roads, it’s better to have them standing on their wheels.

Beware also of stone chips or coarse sand flying up and doing some fancy patterns on your paintwork. ( learned that the hard way too[emoji45] )

i took to strapping the bikes as the sideways forces were twisting the mounts on the rack.

I was thinking to design an aluminium rail and supports gor the DIY market that would be similar to the current strifes system with a couple of important differences.

1 Bike still gets fixed at the crank. Suports are however bolted on because the slightest bit of movement is when the bikes start to get damaged.

2 Rail has row of flots machined in order to fix the wheel in such a way that it absolutrly cannot move.

3 rail is shaped to hold road, standard mtb or wider tire.

Can be supplied in lengths or pre machined with all the bits and bobs for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 bikes.

Fixing to the trailor would be your only challenge, I would have a couple of standard brackets and designs with measurements etc.

supplied in mill or powder coated aluminium

Would anyone be interested in this?

Edited by Rolling Stone

1 Bike still gets fixed at the crank. Suports are however bolted on because the slightest bit of movement is when the bikes start to get damaged.

Fixed at the crank?

Happy New Year to you.

Beware also of stone chips or coarse sand flying up and doing some fancy patterns on your paintwork. ( learned that the hard way too )

QR forks ?

Surely A thru axle would laugh at those forces ?

Thanks That looks quite simple and pretty sturdy. Does it fold down when not in use?

When not in use I take it off the trailer for my kids to store their bikes. Only part that folds is to take different wheel sizes.

My cousin's build. Cant fold down but is really strong. His sidewalls just got a few scrapes so make sure your tyres are protected.44028ed74c6d432f3f7e83b4c4c44bf5.jpg