Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

Damn, i had a look and plenty people over 1000km already. Wow

Remember Eddy, commuting in summer is easy, winter is when it gets tough and for us in the Cape, cold and wet (hopefully). :) 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode to and from work last Monday, No issues. Woke up in the early hours of Tuesday morning and my throat was on fire. Straight to the Dr. Throat infection, ARGH. I refused the anti-biotics. Booked off the rest of the week. Damn it was a long week in bed/off the bike. Felt good this morning on my way in to work.  On leave tomorrow to renew my drivers so no commuting tomorrow. Lets hope the weather is good and I can get 4 days of commuting in this week.

i skipped saturdays commute again. We had a sewerage leak that started on friday with sewerage running across the entrance into work, that was one of my excuses for skipping.

the other was that I got about 2 hours sleep the night before.

I'm slowly dropping down the leader board.

Remember Eddy, commuting in summer is easy, winter is when it gets tough and for us in the Cape, cold and wet (hopefully). :)

So left home this morning at 05:40 and all was dry. Roads were slightly damp but nothing crazy.

3 km further and it starts to drizzle. No worries. Another 0.5km later and it starts to pour cats and dogs. 5km further I have to go through a river of water on the road edge and completely submerge my feet. Now i am annoyed to say the least but continue we do. I must have crossed another 5 rivers on my way to work. But getting wet beats sitting in the car and being pissed off. Safe commuting folks.

Thankfully i looked like a christmas tree this morning with 3 rear lights. Safety first. Must admit, cars gave me space when there was a river approaching. 

it was coming down in buckets this morning, then I opened the garage door and the rain stopped.

We got to town, sat down with our coffees and it started raining again, so we went and sat inside....it stopped raining as we had to leave again :)

So left home this morning at 05:40 and all was dry. Roads were slightly damp but nothing crazy.

3 km further and it starts to drizzle. No worries. Another 0.5km later and it starts to pour cats and dogs. 5km further I have to go through a river of water on the road edge and completely submerge my feet. Now i am annoyed to say the least but continue we do. I must have crossed another 5 rivers on my way to work. But getting wet beats sitting in the car and being pissed off. Safe commuting folks.

Thankfully i looked like a christmas tree this morning with 3 rear lights. Safety first. Must admit, cars gave me space when there was a river approaching. 

it was coming down in buckets this morning, then I opened the garage door and the rain stopped.

We got to town, sat down with our coffees and it started raining again, so we went and sat inside....it stopped raining as we had to leave again :)

Lucky you  ^_^

Here in Beerland we have an abnormally mild winter.  Normally we should have temps of min -10 and max -2.  But the last couple of days we are between -5 and 10.  Needles to say that some of us are getting into commuting.  The challange is that the cold now is a very dry cold which to me is worse than a wet cold.  This morning ended up commuting in -6.  At least the gloves did the job well and I did not get to work all covered in sweat.

Is it me or is endo having issues again?

I am trying to edit my rides from the last few days and I can't change them from sport to transport.

My one commute got logged as canicross! Obviously a thumb error, but why the need to make an endomondo category for running with your dog (I had to google that).

I need to drop my bike off at the LBS this afternoon so it can go down to Cape Town tomorrow with the transport company. If I commute, I won't make it home in time to get the bike loaded and off to the shop. So I was bummed that I had to drive today. My toppie called me last night asking how I was getting to work as they wanted a lift to the airport this morning as their flight was at 10h15. I said driving but they would obviously be getting to the airport very early as I start work at 06h45. So I tuned my dad to come fetch my bakkie and then they can drive themselves to the airport and my Dad can just park in the staff parking(he also works here and our parkings are next to each other) and then I will just fetch my key from him. So at 20h00 last night he fetched my bakkie and I got to ride this morning. Have to drive home but 1 commute is better than non.

Bats did that job come through?

Nope not yet.  But it might be better so.  German labour law is a funny thing.  I still need to work the notice period.  So it might be a good thing that I have not heard from them yet as when they do want to employ me they would want me to start asap and as it stands, I can only start 1 May.  In the mean time I am checking for other options should this one not work out.  A bit of confusing times at the moment.

Nope not yet.  But it might be better so.  German labour law is a funny thing.  I still need to work the notice period.  So it might be a good thing that I have not heard from them yet as when they do want to employ me they would want me to start asap and as it stands, I can only start 1 May.  In the mean time I am checking for other options should this one not work out.  A bit of confusing times at the moment.

Good luck! Hopefully we'll see your name flying up that leaderboard soon!