Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they bring less vicious bugs home from around grade 1 or 2 ... so hang tough tchjina, just a fact of life.

So I can only start racing hard again when I am 40? Was hoping to still get a few good VA results in the bag. No chance with constantly having green snot.

So I can only start racing hard again when I am 40? Was hoping to still get a few good VA results in the bag. No chance with constantly having green snot.

sounds like I am reading my life in rewind when I read your posts.

Oooh Samson looks like you're gonna get to 5000 before Close of Business on Friday!

That is the plan.  ^_^

I am starting to worry about you, Cat-i. Soon you be catching me as well.  :blush:

Slightly OFF topic but need some advise...

My commuter GIANT XTC 9-speed didn't survive (alu top tube kinked and was advised not to ride fast with it anymore if fixed) my 28 Feb 2018 commuting crash... repairs on wheels etc would be > R5k.

I've been using my Giant Anthem Advanced 29'er Full Suss since I was allowed to ride again but there is no need for a full suss to commute and the maintenance isn't cheap.

So I'm looking for an affordable commuter bike.

A gravel bike perhaps (not many affordable ones available second hand) or do I just stick to a 26'er given I have parts like tires, chain, cassette (9-speed though). Else I try sell my 9-speed parts and go 26'er or 29'er 10 speed.

I have 300 m altitude gain on my 13 km to work so a fixie isn't an option and I don't want something too heavy as time is money and I'm often broken after an Engen ride/race before my commute :)

Difficult one as each persons needs vary. I use a Cyclocross/gravel bike that I built up from used parts sourced from the hub.

Maintenance is almost nothing compared to my MT bike.

Glad you riding again after the accident.

My commuter GIANT XTC 9-speed didn't survive (alu top tube kinked and was advised not to ride fast with it anymore if fixed) my 28 Feb 2018 commuting crash... repairs on wheels etc would be > R5k.

I've been using my Giant Anthem Advanced 29'er Full Suss since I was allowed to ride again but there is no need for a full suss to commute and the maintenance isn't cheap.

A gravel bike perhaps (not many affordable ones available second hand) or do I just stick to a 26'er given I have parts like tires, chain, cassette (9-speed though). Else I try sell my 9-speed parts and go 26'er or 29'er 10 speed.

I have 300 m altitude gain on my 13 km to work so a fixie isn't an option and I don't want something too heavy as time is money and I'm often broken after an Engen ride/race before my commute :)

Toughen up buttercup!

Commuting is what put most mileage on my 2014 Silverback Sola 1 29er and 2004 Kona Hoss-Dee-Lux 26er.

Short answer : Get a hard tail MTB and sell all your other bikes. 

Commuting is what put most mileage on my 2014 Silverback Sola 1 29er and 2004 Kona Hoss-Dee-Lux 26er.

We have moved to a new office that is around 1km further out from home .... but the change in route to our meeting point in town has me questioning my choice of SS roadie bike as a commuter .... recon I am going to sort out a SS MTB soon to try the commute on as it would just make the city leg so much more fun, and quicker.

Not a good idea. Don't sell bikes. N+1. Besides, Flemish Lion needs his other bikes for road racing. He's a pretty good road racer, not as good as his wife though. I will actually bet all my bikes that non of us can beat his wife.

Not a good idea. Don't sell bikes. N+1. Besides, Flemish Lion needs his other bikes for road racing. He's a pretty good road racer, not as good as his wife though. I will actually bet all my bikes that non of us can beat his wife.

My wife's holiday cycling stats - 2 weeks and 2 days:

Sunday: 54.74 km - 2h2m - 457 m

Week 1: 784.4km - 27h20m  - 6,510m

Week 2: 712.5km - 28h37m - 11,128m

Monday: 104.64 km - 4h1m - 698 m

TOTAL 1656km

CSA African Championships and CSA EU trip prep!

Cycling in Belgium and Spain (Banyoles - what a great place Ash and her parents are finishing off - https://www.rocacorbacycling.cc/)

Even I will battle soon to keep up with her on the road - I blame my kid sitting duties  :whistling: