Lyne Products - The Holy Rail Thread

Dirt Tracker

I dunno, I have never owned a multi tool that didn't rust. Especially one left on the bike.

Take it apart, spray it with some non conductive electrical spray and it will stay with that lovely patina finish forever.

Nix, I see you are in Cape Town..... Eish. I live in Muizenberg. I've seen stainless steel rust overnight here. Add some sweat into the mix as well if it sits on a bottle cage and you have a recipe for corrosion.

As an aside, I've had a set of Lyne cranks going since 2016. They have been thrashed and they are still perfect. Some Lyne Hubs which have been pulled through the ring too. I even have 1 x 1st gen 27.2mm dropper which is going on close to 5 years without a service and still works as it shoud.

So IMHO, there is definitely quality in the lineup. Leaving a tool in a case/slip on the bike is asking for trouble in any environment. 

I've had Absolute Black chainrings last 5000km and one last 300km. Throwing a blanket on a brand like that is dangerous. There are far more happy customers than those who feel hard done by. 

So I will keep supporting them as their overall standard is great and their support is amazing. Have you shot a mail to them regarding your chainring?

Agreed, they offer great value products. I've just acquired a Lyne Contour dropper and so far so good.

A mate of mine bought a crank and BB and Imediately picked up tolerance issues that were not good. They refunded without hassle.

I've bought a few products from them but the products with steel have all corroded badly and I've taken this up with my LBS, requesting that they fit titanium fasteners instead, especially the stem bolts and Holy rail fittings.

There is an issue because my LBS acknowledges its an issue and have said that a few customers have complained about the same. I hope they take the feedback seriously as it clear the Stainless steel they're using has too much martensite content

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, they offer great value products. I've just acquired a Lyne Contour dropper and so far so good.

A mate of mine bought a crank and BB and Imediately picked up tolerance issues that were not good. They refunded without hassle.

I've bought a few products from them but the products with steel have all corroded badly and I've taken this up with my LBS, requesting that they fit titanium fasteners instead, especially the stem bolts and Holy rail fittings.

There is an issue because my LBS acknowledges its an issue and have said that a few customers have complained about the same. I hope they take the feedback seriously as it clear the Stainless steel they're using has too much martensite content

In the cape, stainless steel bolts will corrode too.

They would need to use Alu or Ti bolts and fasteners.

The Cape is unforgiving on metals, especially in our little corner of paradise

Stainless Steels with high austenite content will fair much better. Thats a marine grade and its YS is more than high enough for bicycle applications.

Ti or Aluminium bolts with high YS will also work and might add R50 to the selling price but offer a much better look and feel to the products

For the tools I suspect the manufacturer is not hardening the steel to the correct condition as a hardened steel won't rust to the extent the multitools are rusting. I've got Park Tool multitools that are over a decade old with zero rust on them and at todays pricing they're not much more expensive than the Lyne multitool so the quality has to be brought up to standard for this item and the fasteners

Edited by DieselnDust

Credit to Lyne Components, they replied to my email and have sent me a replacement multitool. Dayle seems to think the rust on the multitool was extreme and is sending the pictures to their factory. He thinks it is possibly a surface treatment issue.

Credit to Lyne Components, they replied to my email and have sent me a replacement multitool. Dayle seems to think the rust on the multitool was extreme and is sending the pictures to their factory. He thinks it is possibly a surface treatment issue.

It is always how a business treats you as the client when things go bad that really matters, and it seems like Lyne are the kind of business that makes sure they make good to any issues with their products.

It is always how a business treats you as the client when things go bad that really matters, and it seems like Lyne are the kind of business that makes sure they make good to any issues with their products.

+1

I usually give my multitool and stainless steels bolts a nice rinse clean, let dry then spray q20 on them and seems to keep them in good nic, lyne multitool aswell

I usually give my multitool and stainless steels bolts a nice rinse clean, let dry then spray q20 on them and seems to keep them in good nic, lyne multitool aswell

Been doing this to my Lyne multitool .... see it has surface rust ....

Tools in the tool bag is sprayed with Q20, then placed in a zipp lock bag.

The Lyne tool is in a bracket below the water bottle ... not possible to properly protect it ... will need to spray it much more often with Q20

Edited by ChrisF

After almost two years of living under my bottle cage, I took mine out this afternoon. Only slight surface rust, quite sure nothing a bit of rubbing with a "green scouring pad" will not remove. All the tools still moved freely and separately.

Gave it a good squirt with Tool in a Can, and popped it back into it's place. 

As someone mentioned earlier the Specialized EMT which is also permanently exposed doesn't have these issues, I've had mine for about 4 years and has minimal corrosion

The Spez is almost twice the price too and when comparing them side-by-side I don’t see a much better product on the Specialized side. Maybe a better plating or coating but that is it.

I’ll stick to my OneUp EDC though. Second pick would be to put the Lyne tool back on my bike.

As someone mentioned earlier the Specialized EMT which is also permanently exposed doesn't have these issues, I've had mine for about 4 years and has minimal corrosion

I have my lyne tool for a year with zero surface rust.

Folks maybe sweating too much onto there multitools ???? lol

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, AB said:

Anyone fitted to a large Trek Top Fuel?

Don't think it will fit in the triangle with 2 cages.

I just fitted the 260mm rail on the front of my seat post with a second cage lower down (front of seat tube, but above top tube.