For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks LWB.

That system must exert some insane pressure to drop such heavy gear at a controlled pace. 

But what fascinates me more in your video was the fact you have the whole plane on jacks. I would love to see how you guys manage that. It must be some neat engineering taking place?

Amazing. Was it beyond economical repair, and if so why? I believe main spar damage can be terminal?

Or was the plane at the end of life/lease or was it simply more cost effective to claim insurance and replace?

The plane was due to be retired that year anyway, so repair just couldn't be justified.

It did seem a shame.

Scrapping seems a bit overkill? I would think that would buff right out...

On a more serious note, imagine being a) a passenger on that plane, and watching the wing dissect a building, and b) being inside the building, oblivious to the pending doom...

New underpants, anyone?

Literally "sitting on a bomb".

This could have been many times worse for everyone involved.

Thanks LWB.

That system must exert some insane pressure to drop such heavy gear at a controlled pace. 

But what fascinates me more in your video was the fact you have the whole plane on jacks. I would love to see how you guys manage that. It must be some neat engineering taking place?

Basically big hydraulic tripod jacks. Anywhere from 3 to like 5 or 6 depending on the aircraft. It doesn't even take that long to jack. If you take an hour then you messing around. A crew at each jack and observers all over the place. Hanger doors remain closed!!!!

Hydraulics is an amazing thing. The actuators used to control the gear are not that big at all but they are used more for retraction. Extension makes use of gravity assistance. You can actually do an emergency retraction purely with gravity.

What I love about the 340-600 gear is how the centre gear positions the wheels. The 340-300 only has 2 wheels on the centre gear and the 330 doesn't have a centre gear. That gear is only there for heavy take off and if you need to do an over weight landing. Often after landing gear servicing when you tow the aircraft with no pax or fuel the centre gear on the 340-300 isn't even touching the ground.

I still see the BA380 in the morning floating downwind over Jhb ,but i think they are staring to transition to the Dreamliner, which is lovely aircraft it should be said. But I think its the bottom line ie economy, that is the deciding factor

It is a lovely aircraft. And to be honest, it’s seems to be kitted out exactly to spec of the A380, you can’t tell the difference once inside.

Quick question to you airplane spanners. Why TF is there this need to have these metal boxes under the seats, usually the window seats. Surely that box could be placed somewhere else, it really makes an economy trip extra ***.

It is a lovely aircraft. And to be honest, it’s seems to be kitted out exactly to spec of the A380, you can’t tell the difference once inside.

Quick question to you airplane spanners. Why TF is there this need to have these metal boxes under the seats, usually the window seats. Surely that box could be placed somewhere else, it really makes an economy trip extra ***.

I would have to see the **** you talking about but if I think about our economy seats, there are 2 things under the seats. One is a life jacket and the other is to do with IFE(In Flight Entertainment) and houses some stuff for the screens. So it could be one of those?

I would have to see the **** you talking about but if I think about our economy seats, there are 2 things under the seats. One is a life jacket and the other is to do with IFE(In Flight Entertainment) and houses some stuff for the screens. So it could be one of those?

I’ll WhatsApp you a pic quick, can’t post from my phone.

Post them if you want. One is a A380 and other was a 787

Edited by Patchelicious