For the aviation fans

Lotus

Very quiet in the sky around Cape Town. Picked up two medical AMS flights on Flightradar

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still tons of planes flying over Europe / Middle East / the US . . . . 

Had a quick look at the European traffic and quite a large chunk of them are freight aircraft

Sunday morning 08h40.

One King Air, and a chartered 737 inbound from Nairobi. That's it.

Amazing  :eek:

Hope one of them goes over the farm or my friend won't know when to pour himself a dop.  ;) 

Edited by DJR

Sunday morning 08h40.

One King Air, and a chartered 737 inbound from Nairobi. That's it.

Interestingly the king air registration is 652

Belongs to the SAAF light transport squadron

And a Swiss registered PC12 just left Luanda heading south

These empty skies make interesting monitoring

Edited by SwissVan

I have soap/sanitiser dispensers arriving today from Belgium. Haven’t checked which airline, but I assume it would be Cargolux.

IIRC, it’s a daytime flight - will have to check shortly and revert.

Quantas and KLM has yesterday (or two days ago) flown their last flights with the Boeing 747.  Both airlines were gonna retire their respective 747 fleets but due to Corona and the current situation they have moved the dates forward by a year.  Sad day.

One EgyptAir cargo flight departed from ORTIA to Cairo, one Turkish Airlines Cargo inbound to Antananarivo and one private heading to Windhoek from JHB. It would seem that this is the quietest the skies have been since WW2, since there were more planes in the sky after 9/11.

post-103677-0-13877900-1585575194_thumb.png

Quantas and KLM has yesterday (or two days ago) flown their last flights with the Boeing 747.  Both airlines were gonna retire their respective 747 fleets but due to Corona and the current situation they have moved the dates forward by a year.  Sad day.

I also saw this but technically not the case for KLM. Martinair (a subsidiary of KLM) is still using KLM 747F air frames for their cargo service under MP flight codes. 

One EgyptAir cargo flight departed from ORTIA to Cairo, one Turkish Airlines Cargo inbound to Antananarivo and one private heading to Windhoek from JHB. It would seem that this is the quietest the skies have been since WW2, since there were more planes in the sky after 9/11.

attachicon.gif2020-03-30 15_25_11-Flightradar24_ Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map.png

I stay close enough to ORT that I get the occasional flight doing an aborted landing or avoiding a weather pattern coming over our house. Never enough noise to bother me.

But what has occurred to me over the last few days is that there was usually a rumble in the distance from the planes, this has now stopped.