For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sriwijaya B735 at Jakarta on Jan 9th 2021, lost height and impacted Java Sea Update:

Boeing Jet’s Throttle Becomes Focus in Indonesia Crash Probe - Bloomberg

Indonesian investigators probing the Jan. 9 crash of a Sriwijaya Air flight are looking at the possibility that a malfunctioning automatic throttle could have led to the pilots losing control, according to a person familiar with the investigation.

The autothrottle was producing more thrust in one of the Boeing Co. 737-500’s two engines than the other shortly before the plane carrying 62 people crashed into the Java Sea, said the person, who isn’t authorized to discuss the matter publicly. The device had been having problems on previous flights, the person said.

Issues involving the autothrottle on the 737 have led to incidents in the past and a similar malfunction on another aircraft model was a cause of a fatal crash in 1995 in Romania.

Nurcahyo Utomo, the lead investigator at Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Committee, confirmed that a malfunctioning throttle was “one of the factors that we are looking at, but I can’t say at this point that it’s a factor for the crash or there was a problem with it.”

FS Plane Crash: Name of pilot released

The pilot who lost his life in a plane crash in the Free State has officially been named.

Free State Police spokesperson, Thandi Mbambo, confirmed that the 52-year-old Christiaan Korf Wiid was confirmed dead when the wreckage of his plane was found by the police helicopter.

Wiid was spraying crops on a farm in the Bulfontein area in the Free State on Thursday. His plane was, however, reported missing and the police were alerted.

Mbambo says his family has now been informed of the aeroplane crash at Klipveld Farm in the Bultfontein district and his name may be released.

Social media reports conveying condolences have been making the rounds.

Been a bad week for the industry. I lost a friend helicopter crop spraying on Monday too.

Ah sorry to hear. RIP and condolences.

Locally?

Ah sorry to hear. RIP and condolences.

Locally?

In the Ceres / Wolseley area. Thankfully didn't get the new airtime like the others.

Just a quick question. Do helicopters also do have these blackboxes that records flight data and voice in order to establish the cause of the accident?

I am sure someone like Alouette will give you the correct answer but my guess would be no. I worked on Cessnas before I worked at SAAT and those lekker little aircraft never had any sort of flight data recorder. I only worked on the 100, 200, 300 and 400 series Cessna so I can't answer for the likes of the 500/citation models. I would think those small business jets would also have some sort of recorders.

Just a quick question. Do helicopters also do have these blackboxes that records flight data and voice in order to establish the cause of the accident?

Don't think so.  To my knowledge only commercial airliners.  Small aircraft, helicopters and military aircraft do normally not have it.  The owner of an aircraft might want to have it installed.  If a small aircraft is used commercially the owner might opt for an additional Flight data recorder (or some version of it, not a black box as such) that they not only use in case of emergencies but more used to evaluate pilot performance.  I know at some stage British Airways (in Brittain, not Commair in SA) had additional monitoring software on their aircraft where they evaluate pilot performance and also see where pilots need to do some extra training in the simulator.

Don't think so.  To my knowledge only commercial airliners.  Small aircraft, helicopters and military aircraft do normally not have it.  The owner of an aircraft might want to have it installed.  If a small aircraft is used commercially the owner might opt for an additional Flight data recorder (or some version of it, not a black box as such) that they not only use in case of emergencies but more used to evaluate pilot performance.  I know at some stage British Airways (in Brittain, not Commair in SA) had additional monitoring software on their aircraft where they evaluate pilot performance and also see where pilots need to do some extra training in the simulator.

Now if only they could install something like that in all new cars. It monitors speed and a few more things to determine if the driver behaves reclessly. Then, if it decides that is the case, the next time the car is started, it gives a message and refuse to start for 15 minutes. For really reckless things like a 200km/h on the N1, it gives a message and refuse to start at all. Imagine them installing that in all taxis and buses. It they can build cars to drive themselves, why not build cars that will refuse to drive for idiots?!

I know for small aricraft it is optional, but my thinking was around the recent Netcare Chopper crash.