For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how I would have reacted as a pax sitting in that seat. The knowledge that the machine is behaving as it should given the circumstances of the engine failure and the containment of the damage with what appears to be just the cowlings missing, should inspire confidence.(Aware that peeps on ground could have been hurt, seems no one was luckily). Seeing the flames not flaring back to the wing, wow, one should just chill and wait for the landing, having the phone camera ready for the fire trucks arrival!

But eeisshhhhh, it is burning.... man, that’s why it is best to fly them. You don't see that from the flight deck!

Edited....spelling.

So it seems like this whole incident was caused by Fan blade failure (cracks near the base) resulting in the engine throwing a blade or 2...

I wonder how often These type of blades have to get checked for cracks and if it was done, or done properly on the affected engine?

Maybe LWB has an idea around the insp interval and criteria on These blades?

So it seems like this whole incident was caused by Fan blade failure (cracks near the base) resulting in the engine throwing a blade or 2...

I wonder how often These type of blades have to get checked for cracks and if it was done, or done properly on the affected engine?

I think he may have mentioned this before, how many blades there are, how much they weigh and how long it takes?

Ai Ai Ai, that shirt needs to shortened, just cut the Hercules off and wear it like that...............

But TBH even that 150 doesn't look correct. The 150 has a much flatter(more upright) windscreen and the rear window doesn't slope as much as that. So even better, cut the 150 off as well and just leave the 172 which looks correct. 

Agreed, 172 will do just fine  :D

I think he may have mentioned this before, how many blades there are, how much they weigh and how long it takes?

So I think I saw somewhere those were the P&W engines. I have never worked on those newer ones(only the much older JT8 and JT9) so I am not sure of the inspection intervals but what I can say is there has never been mandatory inspections for fan blades until a few years back when one of the CFM 56 engines spat some fan blades out and there were fatalities. Ever since then we do regular ultra sonic inspections but only on the CFM 56 engines and they also now have a life limit of 55000 cycles whereas previously the only limits were bends etc from bird or FOD strikes.

The newer fan blades are also a carbon composite material so a lot lighter and the forces are a lot less. When they fail the failure is more just like the thing exploding instead of this big heavy chunk of metal being flung through the air. The fan cases now have a containment mod as well so basically the casing is seriously strong to prevent internals being flung out and hitting the fuselage or wing. So basically if a fan blade fails it just goes through the centre and out the back of the engine and destroys everything inside.

*(I must also say that we haven't done much work in the last year on any other engines at all so if there are inspections to be done on other engines we have not done them as we not flying)*

RB211?

Yep. Off retired 747's apparently. I'm sure there's a ton of them somewhere!

Yep. Off retired 747's apparently. I'm sure there's a ton of them somewhere!

Yeah there must be a lot and yes the RB 211 was used on a lot of B747-400s but I wonder what they will do with them, the other aircraft that use the engine are also not really flying anymore.

So that was the first engine to be triple spool, a seriously amazing feat by RR. Just thinking about the engineering involved of having 3 shafts running inside each other and the bearings required is mind bobbling. Even their new Trent(the middle name of one of my twins is Trent.......) engines are triple spool. 

That RB211 is really such a remarkable engine that put RR into the market in a big way.

Yeah there must be a lot and yes the RB 211 was used on a lot of B747-400s but I wonder what they will do with them, the other aircraft that use the engine are also not really flying anymore.

So that was the first engine to be triple spool, a seriously amazing feat by RR. Just thinking about the engineering involved of having 3 shafts running inside each other and the bearings required is mind bobbling. Even their new Trent(the middle name of one of my twins is Trent.......) engines are triple spool. 

That RB211 is really such a remarkable engine that put RR into the market in a big way.

I see an opportunity here for car modders. Shoehorn one of those babies into a Civic maybe?

I see an opportunity here for car modders. Shoehorn one of those babies into a Civic maybe?

Scary thing is that it won't be long and the owners of those engine will be wanting to get rid of them and if they still have life then they can legally sell them and they will go for cheap cheap. If their hours are up(or close to up) then they will have to scrap them and that is always a sad sight.

So I think I saw somewhere those were the P&W engines. I have never worked on those newer ones(only the much older JT8 and JT9) so I am not sure of the inspection intervals but what I can say is there has never been mandatory inspections for fan blades until a few years back when one of the CFM 56 engines spat some fan blades out and there were fatalities. Ever since then we do regular ultra sonic inspections but only on the CFM 56 engines and they also now have a life limit of 55000 cycles whereas previously the only limits were bends etc from bird or FOD strikes.

The newer fan blades are also a carbon composite material so a lot lighter and the forces are a lot less. When they fail the failure is more just like the thing exploding instead of this big heavy chunk of metal being flung through the air. The fan cases now have a containment mod as well so basically the casing is seriously strong to prevent internals being flung out and hitting the fuselage or wing. So basically if a fan blade fails it just goes through the centre and out the back of the engine and destroys everything inside.

*(I must also say that we haven't done much work in the last year on any other engines at all so if there are inspections to be done on other engines we have not done them as we not flying)*

There is an Emergency FAA AD which lists the following engines:

PW4074, PW4074D, PW4077, PW4077D, PW4084D, PW4090, and PW4090-3 model turbofan engines.

FAA AD 2021-05-51 

The AD refers to PW ASB PW4G-112-A72-268 R7 dated Sept 2018, which depending what the PW ASB is About might indicate that there is known issue

post-182-0-26242900-1614599150_thumb.png

There is an Emergency FAA AD which lists the following engines:

PW4074, PW4074D, PW4077, PW4077D, PW4084D, PW4090, and PW4090-3 model turbofan engines.

FAA AD 2021-05-51 

The AD refers to PW ASB PW4G-112-A72-268 R7 dated Sept 2018, which depending what the PW ASB is About might indicate that there is known issue

attachicon.gifFAA AD 2021-05-31.png

Sjoe that covers a lot of different engine models and fan blade P/Ns. Having been involved in the CFM SB which only covered 1 engine model with 1 blade P/N(and about 5 different dash numbers) I know what the P&W operators are in for.

That PW ASB date is almost in line with the CFM date so they possibly bought it out when CFM had issues. 

BUT with 2 manufacturers now having LPC issues I am sure all of them will now come out with inspections and revisions to the manuals.