For the aviation fans

Lotus

Wasn't the plane empty on leaving ORT? Not sure how you can get the weight of an empty plane wrong by 90 tons??

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the plane empty on leaving ORT? Not sure how you can get the weight of an empty plane wrong by 90 tons??

Not knowing how they enter the weight and if it is just cargo or do they manually calculate the fuel as weight as well but the fuel itself is just short of 200 000 liters so that should weigh close to that alone. Then add the aircraft weight and you never know how much those pilots drag along for a trip to Brussels in hand luggage  :whistling:

The Aviation Herald also reports information that Airbus A340-600, like SAA’s, have a known software bug in their FMS. This bug can reduce the apparent take-off mass of the aircraft by about 90 tons, if the crew enters the take-off mass before engine start. 

So much that is strange about this story.

If there is a known software bug surely Airbus would fix it immediately?   ... Oh wait - SAA  have not been  paying  SAAT for the maintenance.. 

If there is a known software bug surely Airbus would fix it immediately?   ... Oh wait - SAA  have not been  paying  SAAT for the maintenance.. 

He he he in best Zuma speak. I wonder if they have been paying Airbus to keep their aircraft software updated?  Hypothetical question.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a video of a light aircraft in KZN that ran out of fuel landed on the South Coast Highway (Presume it is the N2 South). Refuelled and then took off form the highway again. Any more info on this Incident?

Saw a video of a light aircraft in KZN that ran out of fuel landed on the South Coast Highway (Presume it is the N2 South). Refuelled and then took off form the highway again. Any more info on this Incident?

The "low fuel" light came on and they decided to rather land.

They found it was NOT out of fuel when checking the wing and could take off and carry on.

Edited by Quagga

Just looking at the main Boeing factory in Everett and the adjacent Paine Field on Google Earth and according to the 2021 imagery only 1 of the 35 build/parking slots has a plane in it.

Meanwhile down at the Boeing Field airport they have upwards of 70 what look like 737's squeezed together on the tarmac.....

The "low fuel" light came on and they decided to rather land.

They found it was NOT out of fuel when checking the wing and could take off and carry on.

Possible fuel line blockage I understand.

Possible fuel line blockage I understand.

Low fuel light is usually generated by very little fuel in the tank ???? which is usually because the aap behind the controls did not check the fuel quantity properly.... the last bit is speculation based on my experience with aap’s

No offence to monkeys meant in the above