For the aviation fans

Lotus

This ^^^^^

From your name I take it you are aligned with those machines that stay airborne because they are so ugly that even the earth rejects them .......

Yip, paint stirrers

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Horrible - RIP

Looks like he misjudged his height, low light and calm water maybe made it difficult

Gosh, yes agreed, looks like a complete error in judgement......sad.

• 2 weeks later...

Found this doccie  quite good. Posting with it starting with the Comet landing at Jhb after its first trip, Suikerbosrand can be seen in the distance. Link to cycling so not totally off-topic.

On 8th April a Gripen was damaged in a crazy accident at AFB Louis Trichardt (Makhado).

During a static engine test the restraining cable  broke and away it went . . . 

The Zoutpanberger has the story, which the Defence Force finally admitted to 5 weeks after the Zoutpanberger asked for them to confirm the incident.

1 minute ago, SwissVan said:

Oops 

Afterburner could snap the chains....

Actually not funny, been there and done something similar

Far more likely that the restraint has not been load tested since the AFB opened 33 years ago. A few years ago the entire base ran on generators for over a year,  as the switch gear around the base was some fancy American stuff which needed the oil levels checked annually. One switch failed afer 25years of never being checked and it started a chain reaction