For the aviation fans

Lotus

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

no, it's a much better game than MSFS. This is the real thing fella.

ummm. a quick google search for " real thing fella flight sim" didn't bring up any relevant results.... am i missing something?????????????

Edited by Matthew du preez

9 hours ago, Spokey said:

7169AD9B-8649-4340-A20C-C02A04F7D0F1.jpeg.e4733817b7ea52890dd1b8f586005fe1.jpegA bit of a read for those who may be interested. I am a big fan of our new aeroplane and here is a little of what the machine is capable of as achieved on our long sector yesterday. We flew Seattle to Dubai, normally the preserve of long range airliners like the Triple 7ER. It was extraordinarily hot in Seattle for our scheduled take off time of 1630 local on Monday. We managed to load 50500lbs of fuel against a max of 51850 but I was happy as the OAT was 39c. Runway 32L out of KBFI showed a take off run of 6200 ft out of the 10000 ft runway. In any event Rotation started at the 4000 foot marker from a rolling take off. Climb out was at M.83 straight to FL 410 with an average ISA of +14. We were 20 mins early which was a bonus due to the rising temperatures in Seattle which would have left us obstacle restricted on take off just 2 degrees hotter. Updating the winds aloft brought us another 22 mins early which became a problem as the runway at OMDB was only opening at 1800 Local on Tuesday. So our LRC of M.85 was reduced to M.83. We crossed Oceanic at FL410 climbing to FL450 at 30West. Random route north of the Nat Tracks took us to 68North. Monitoring our ETA we were able to accelerate to M.85 and also climb to FL 490 with 5 hours to go. Over all we had a flight time of 14 hours 55 landing with 4600 lbs of fuel from a ground distance of 7145 nm.  I am very impressed with the aeroplane and the quietness overall. The pics show a little gen like the low fuel flow at altitude and the low cabin alt which remains lower than Joburgs elevation even at that high Flight Level. If anyone notices the high N2 reading it is not alarming! It is well below the max of 114.9.

94B87938-EA80-4395-84B3-8C4BB649A623.jpeg.a97bf2339d5aae94e0c7edb11aae5731.jpeg3B5E49EB-F2FA-47CB-90DC-CBA8E7EE60D3.jpeg.bd09bf401c1966c82cc7289ff00ce1c5.jpeg4F9DD69C-DD34-4054-A8B6-ADF4C4A83D9F.jpeg.db72ce132354d33b8a072ed1cf6f8d38.jpeg

i think your flight went better than mine, mine can't even be qualified as flight, bc it never left the ground, except for the other half of the prop...... that flew up into the air

a broken prop is not what i like

IMG_0873.JPG

7 hours ago, Lotus said:

The future has arrived!

Jeepers, this is amazing, although I imagine it is more than a wheelbarrow full of dollars!

15 hours ago, Matthew du preez said:

is that microsoft flight sim??

A pic from Jepp Pro on my company iPad. Jepp Pro is really amazing in what it is capable of. I have a tiny GPS receiver that connects to the app via Bluetooth. It works on the flight deck through the side windows.  It is a realistic and valid backup to confirm error checks in NAT HLA Airspace. 
As you are keen to learn to fly, search for Code 7700 online. Lots of incredible gen. The site may seem overwhelming to begin with but Eddie has a lot of useful info.

Also check out Everything Explained Pro Pilot by Richie Lengel. Both are something to aspire to.

16 hours ago, Lotus said:

The future has arrived!

Geepers...I really dont like this concept (flying cars), #pipe dream

Great piece of engineering by the looks of it

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Geepers...I really dont like this concept (flying cars), #pipe dream

Great piece of engineering by the looks of it

I think that it will gather momentum as more successes are reached.

Composite technologies and tech systems are getting better by the day and, like flat panel TVs, the prices will drop as scale is achieved. And if price isn't the only thing that drops, there's always BRS to fall back on (literally!).

I suspect the bigger challenge will lie in ATC.

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

I think that it will gather momentum as more successes are reached.

Composite technologies and tech systems are getting better by the day and, like flat panel TVs, the prices will drop as scale is achieved. And if price isn't the only thing that drops, there's always BRS to fall back on (literally!).

I suspect the bigger challenge will lie in ATC.

Theres a plethora of issues, licensing, training, certification, maintenance, parking, place to land and take off, airspace (ATC) and then the biggest being the human factor behind the wheel, we can’t even drive cars properly without causing mayhem on the roads, let alone fly them.

One day when technology can replace the human input then maybe 

51 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Theres a plethora of issues, licensing, training, certification, maintenance, parking, place to land and take off, airspace (ATC) and then the biggest being the human factor behind the wheel, we can’t even drive cars properly without causing mayhem on the roads, let alone fly them.

that technology is already incredibley advanced.... autopilot in some of the most modern planes is incredible.... along with self driving cars that are now permitted in the States already

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Can you imagine the insurance premiums on that?

"Sorry the quote is so high, but the flight cover is quite cheap - it's the driving in Johannesburg that makes it expensive."

10 hours ago, Matthew du preez said:

that technology is already incredibley advanced.... autopilot in some of the most modern planes is incredible.... along with self driving cars that are now permitted in the States already

Yeah.....and I’m just a skeptical OF

????

14 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Yeah.....and I’m just a skeptical OF

????

The thought of the possibility of a soweto taxi flying over my head does not really put me in my comfort zone

19 hours ago, Bateleur1 said:

The thought of the possibility of a soweto taxi flying over my head does not really put me in my comfort zone

i think that before anyone in this country is allowed to fly a flying car... the government needs to reform the licensing department... and themselves

I've been enjoying Mike Patey's channel for a while now, and this latest episode shows that he's on a different level of aviation enthusiast.

It's starting to look like Scrappy will be a game changer.