Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching my wife drop grams by the day ...makes me realize that i have been right all along.

The saying  "you gotta want it is" (all in the mind) is the key to success in anything you do...be it a weghtloss goal ...a place on the start line at the TDF or even a simple little thing like being able to ride up hills and not walk. 

I am watcher her achieve goals that she didnt think were possible...her weight is dropping by the day... she has joined a get fit class and going full steam ahead.... so whooppee big deal...it is a big deal...because she watched me go through my journey and just couldnt get going ...no matter how i succeeded if did not motivate her to commit... she now is in the right frame of mind and giving it everything she has... 3 weeks before the challenge started she was already preparing for it ...both food and exercise... i will support her 100 %...she is going to have days were she just feels she cant do it ...i will be there to help motivate her to achieve her goal... i am a firm believer that you cant help people who cant help themselves... no matter how many silly pics you post... or nasty comments people make ...the person has to be prepared to help themselves... once they commit... a helping hand goes a long way in achieving goals... for example my wife would prepare my meals everyday to make sure i didnt loose focus... that made a huge difference for me... a burger and coke on the road is way easier than standing preparing food.

why is it such a big deal...because it all boils down to your frame of mind...i keep telling people when they ask ...so how did you loose 40 kg... its not about the diet ...its not about the cycling-running - cross training or what ever it is that you want to do...it not even about a personal trainer... there are hundreds if not thousands of diets/food plans...fasting methods...training plans...get fit programs etc etc etc... the only way any of them will work is when YOU are ready.

I watch this thread with interest and notice people come and go... i would bet money that the people who are achieving and maintaining their goals are focused and have the right mind set... i would bet that even if they changed whatever it is they are doing to a different eating plan for example or started running instead of cycling ...they would still achieve their goals... because they are in the right frame of mind.

I watched a community remove a hobo/ drug addict from the street ...waste thousands of rands on fixing his teeth... finding him a job... a place to stay you name it ..he was a new man with a future... it lasted 6 months and he was back on the street... i talk from experience... I was in this place a long time ago... i had good support... people who believed in me and where prepared to help... i just wasnt ready... they didnt give up on me... and when the time was right (I wanted to fix my situation)  they supported me and helped me on my road to recovery...i sit here today with a cup of coffee in front of me ...instead of a bottle of 1820 brandy... grateful for their assistance... one of the reason i dont judge people until i have walked in their shoes.

So for all you non looser...just vasbyte and keep trying... life is tough... get your mind right and make it happen... it is never too late. 

So why is it so important to do a no cheat first 3 weeks at least...simple... motivation to continue.

( i am not doing it...but rather paying attention to someone who is with good results) 

what i am seeing... scale moving slowly in the right direction... motivation to make it work...commitment to the exercise and joy as the clothes get loose. 

What have i learnt from this in the past 3 weeks... 

the key... your mind... get this right and the rest just falls into place.

next you need a goal...what do you want to achieve...in my case it was simple ...just be able to ride up hills without pushing...you might want to run 5 km ...it might even be to complete an ironman... it is not important ...you just need something to get you started.

then the eating plan/diet/fasting whatever you want to call it... a means to drop the weight ...as we all know this is 80 % of the struggle ... so make sure it is something you can keep at or evolve as you achieve your goals.

then the exercise ...this could be anything from a simple walk down the street to a structured plan from a personal trainer... there is a good chance an instructor will come with an eating plan... some people need a personal trainer to get them into the right place... the first time round i did this because i didnt have what it took to get me up and going ... so i found a personal trainer... paid the person for one month and got into the habit... the right personal trainer will help you get motivated and get going.

once this is all in place...so long as your mind stays focused... it gets easier by the day.

Sometimes we need to get to a point where we need to change... junk food...beer and the coach just become too easy ...to get out of it gets harder by the day.

sometimes it takes a spook to get you motivated... in my case a couple years ago ... it was the blood test results... some might have and ER scare with chest pains... we just need to do it before it is too late.

It is not an easy task loosing weight and the further you fall into the hole ...the more difficult it is to get out.... in some case people just never get out. 

2 things were holding me back accidents and fear of crime while walking ( which has made it even more difficult with the recent armed robbery of a pedestrian 150 m away from my house) ...and  it has just got to the point where i am just too lazy to do anything about.

It is hard work keeping fit and healthy ...that is why there are so many fat people out there (including myself) 

Something that's relevant this time of the year, many of us start the new year with gusto and filled with good intentions and quickly lose steam. The question to ask ...what if this time I don't quit.

I've been following the keto ways this year, even to the point where I started eating meat again after over 12 years of not. And I've reached a point of starting to crave things and if I succumb. I can feel my body wanting more and more. Yet 8 months of clean Keto I had zero cravings.

Onwards... and keep laughing

post-44041-0-92786700-1567917262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uni

I’ve been away from this wagon over the holidays. Business trip to Milan and then holiday in the states and a shorter holiday up the coast, have left me with little to negative weight movement over the past few months. The only thing that I believe has saved me is lots of cycling, which has left me pretty comfortable fitness wise, albeit not any lighter. I am now back into a routine of eating better and cycling consistently, which is making immediate differences to clothing tightness etc.

This is traditionally when I tail off as winter is coming and consequently add weight and lose fitness. However, this year I have entered two events over the next month and have properly set up my indoor pain cave to remove any possible excuses in advance.

Good luck all

Although I'm not actively posting on this thread, I do follow it. I'm finding it comforting to read that I was not the only one that went through a "challenging" winter. Picked up a couple of kgs over the last two months and now need to get back on track. Thanks to everyone sharing.

So, a question for those in the know??

I am trying some intermittent fasting at the moment, as much for discipline as anything else. Eating only from midday to 8pm. However, went out for a 9am cycle yesterday and had my weetabix beforehand as I didn’t want to run out of steam. However, after the cycle, I felt like I could have got away with skipping the pre ride meal, so felt bad.

So, training whilst fasted. Ok or not ok?

I am trying some intermittent fasting at the moment, as much for discipline as anything else. Eating only from midday to 8pm. However, went out for a 9am cycle yesterday and had my weetabix beforehand as I didn’t want to run out of steam. However, after the cycle, I felt like I could have got away with skipping the pre ride meal, so felt bad.

I do fasting rides 3-4 times a week. I get up, straight on the bike with only water. Only have my first meal of the day around 12:00 or 13:00. You don't need any extra fuel on morning rides that lasts under two hours, your body already stored enough fuel during the night. Rides longer than 2,5 hours I eat a banana pre-ride and a piece of droewors the size of my index finger every 30mins on the ride. This is usually over the weekends when I don't focus so much on fasting.

I run about 4 times during the work week, with the runs typically lasting anywhere from 45min to about 1h30. I'll do that on an 'empty stomach', as I'll have some coffee before I head out. So, a fasted run. That being said, I'll eat immediately when I get home. 

From my understanding, there's no right or wrong answer if you want to push breakfast back by a few hours. My thinking is just that I'll waste away if I don't eat after the runs. 

No problem training fasted. I only eat one meal a day (dinner) and normally have my runs in the afternoon when I get home, so probably at least 20 hours fasted.

No problem training fasted. I only eat one meal a day (dinner) and normally have my runs in the afternoon when I get home, so probably at least 20 hours fasted.

Flip, that’s impressive. Is that for weight loss or just your regime?

Flip, that’s impressive. Is that for weight loss or just your regime?

It's these tough economic times we live in, by reducing to one meal a day you can save a lot of money.   :P

No it is just a my regime at the moment, though there is still a weight loss benefit for those last couple of kgs I want to lose.

It's these tough economic times we live in, by reducing to one meal a day you can save a lot of money. :P

No it is just a my regime at the moment, though there is still a weight loss benefit for those last couple of kgs I want to lose.

Awesome - going to try and adapt to exercising longer than an hour fasted. Thank you

Some useless information...but i thought i would share.

24 December 2018 ...stopped cadence training and pretty much cycling in general. 

Went from around 200km per week on average down to less than 700 km in 9 months.

here the interesting part ...went from around 104 kg  to 108 kg (4 kg in 9 months) which goes up and down depending on my state of mind...still dont eat KFC ...steers or any other junk food on a daily basis like i did in the past...and still off the coke ...the odd zero here and there....still eating just as much bread as I have always...which could explain why i havent gone all the way back to 130+ 

Here are the big changes... clothing size and body shape... i no longer fit into a size 38 and i mean not even the first button on the 501 levis... gut hangs out the bottom of the shirts...i doubt i would be able to ride in the drops position...gone from a large to an XL...2nd chin is coming along.

Gone from being able to pull our B group into the wind...to getting dropped off the back of our C group and some...barely managed to get back to the car after a short 40 km ride...with my HR at 199 BPM ...eased off and took it easy when it got to 199. 

The good news is Lisa my wife ...is on such a roll ...dropped 5 kg ...2 dress sizes and doesnt miss a get fit class...eating the same food everyday (something i dont agree with ...but she must do what works for her) it includes flowery green stuff which i dont enjoy.

The year is coming to an end so soon...as with everything in life there is a small minority still at it ...putting in the effort to make it work ...well done to all of you...keep it up. 

I dont have any excuses ...it is what it is...only time will tell what the future holds...at least the bicycle look good on my office wall ;)

Edited by eccc whippet