[Event] 2019 PPA Sportive #1

Events Bot

Event Name: 2019 PPA Sportive #1
When: 27 January 2019
Where: Simonsvlei Winery, Western Cape
Category: Road

The perfect way to kick start your 2019 cycling season, challenge your seeding for the Cape Town Cycle Tour and get your New Year's resolution wheel turning.

Registration will take place on Sunday, 27 January 2019 from 04h30 at Simonsvlei Winery. Dates for pre-registration will be available closer to the event.

97 km start at 06h00

38 km start at 06h30

The PPA Sportive series for 2019 consist of 8 events that will start at three different venues - Simonsvlei, Windmeul and Paardeberg. While the events form a series, they are all stand-alone road fun rides aimed at everyone, from beginners to experienced riders who want to keep doing road events throughout the year. These events offer the perfect platform for improving your time and setting a new personal best.

ROUTE DESCRIPTION

From the start at the Simonsvlei Winery, the route will take you towards Stellenbosch and over Helshoogte. You will pedal past the Wemmershoek dam and through the back of Paarl towards Wellington before returning via the R44 to finish shortly after the Suid-Agterpaarl road on the R101.

The 97 km route will have 3 water points and the 38 km route will have 1 water point.

DIRECTIONS TO THE VENUE

Follow the N1 to the R44. Take exit 47 from the N1. Turn left onto the R101. The venue will be on your right hand side in 6.2 km.

GPS Co-ordinates:

Latitude: -33.894066

Longitude: 18.5368146,11

NOTES

Remember to wear your PPA road fun ride number.

No children u/16 on the 97 km route.

Kids between 8 and 14 must be accompanied by an adult at all times on the 38 km route.

ONLINE ENTRIES

Distance Entry Fee PPA Member's Discounted Fee

97km R375 R275

38km R175 R125

Go to Event Page

• 2 weeks later...

"Dates for pre-registration will be available closer to the event."

Will there be pre-reg or on the day only?

Seems like they are trying to avoid the registration queues with a new SMS system as per the PPA event email today (see extract below).

An SMS will be sent out on Thursday afternoon with your seeding. If you already have your PPA race number, you can just show your SMS at registration to receive your seeding sticker. If you do not receive an SMS, we can look it up for you at registration.

It might work quite well, saves the time of hunting through sheets to find people's names. At least they are trying to speed things up - hopefully it works :). The other challenge would be getting the right number of toilettes - its still unpredictable especially if you've had to drive in from quite far out.

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

Seems like they are trying to avoid the registration queues with a new SMS system as per the PPA event email today (see extract below).

It might work quite well, saves the time of hunting through sheets to find people's names. At least they are trying to speed things up - hopefully it works :). The other challenge would be getting the right number of toilettes - its still unpredictable especially if you've had to drive in from quite far out.

Still don't get why they don't provide more urinals .. 90% of time its a number 1. And 10 urinals must be cheaper to rent than 10 toilets?

Edited by Karman de Lange

I still dont see why i have to collect anything on the morning of a race. 

Surely there is a way around the sticker collection, or at least make a pre reg option available.

Today became a Great training Ride.

Started 8 minutes behind "Z".

On riding through the stragglers I noticed a Rider moving Up. I caught up to him and commented why don't the two of us work together, He agreed.

Then the two of us pushed hard, I realized that he struggled on the Hills so would chill on the climbs, letting both us catch our breath.

Well I managed a overall 3H35 with a 27Km Average.

Thank You for your company

Sharing the video of the race

https://youtu.be/PBDPo4fchBE

Cool @Americo ????

When you are above 400 watts in the first 10 mins and the head of the race just stays away in the cross winds ????

@babse in the green lid at 2 mins

I’m fighting with my bike at 2’40”, wearing black

I died a 100 deaths on Sunday ????????

Cool @Americo

When you are above 400 watts in the first 10 mins and the head of the race just stays away in the cross winds

I died a 100 deaths on Sunday

At 21s in, you see the dude that won come up from behind on the right hand side and then at  1:04 two of his team mates cruising past everyone on the left hand side  when it's strung out,  making it look so easy

Cool @Americo

When you are above 400 watts in the first 10 mins and the head of the race just stays away in the cross winds

I died a 100 deaths on Sunday

I really felt the blood in my mouth, definitely too much for me. Not sure if I didn't position myself well or if the watts are just not there. But I have to say that it was a good training ride