[Event] Medihelp Stellenbosch Cycle Tour

Events Bot

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was terrible. Last Burger for me.

No parking, we had to suggest the 15 min delay, we had to tell people to park on R45 and ride in. Groups way too big, the worst bike Marshal I have ever had, should be banned from doing cycle events in future.

No redeeming factors. Move it back to Stell or cancel it.

That was terrible. Last Burger for me.

No parking, we had to suggest the 15 min delay, we had to tell people to park on R45 and ride in. Groups way too big, the worst bike Marshal I have ever had, should be banned from doing cycle events in future.

No redeeming factors. Move it back to Stell or cancel it.

Cannot agree more!!!! what a schlep. We were stopped twice (%) due to crossing the white line but this was also due to the bunches being WAY too big. move the venue back to the school please!

Cannot agree more!!!! what a schlep. We were stopped twice (%) due to crossing the white line but this was also due to the bunches being WAY too big. move the venue back to the school please!

% group stopping was a big f op

Woke up before my alarm and decided to get an early start so missed the snarl up with the traffic thankfully. 

Started in 1D which is pure flattery. Was annoyed by the chaotic marshalling at the start and the weird way that people were being loaded into the chutes. Had my calf gouged by a 1C muppet who was carrying his bicycle through the crowded 1D chute to get to his batch which didn't improve my mood. 

Was grateful we made it out of the neutral zone without carnage. Narrow bricked street riding straight into the sun with invisible marshalls standing on the traffic circle and traffic islands. 

Some pretty dody riding in my batch - one oke with headphones - I swear I'll never complain again about the very pedantic PPA start marshals who scrutinise every safety pin on every number at their events. 

The ride itself was pleasant enough although I didn't get the sub 3 hour I was aiming for - 30 seconds too slow on the first big climb and that was it for me. Got caught by 2A, B and C which is probably closer to my actual ability and was able to keep up with them over Hels and across the line for 3.01 ... meh.

I hope all the first time at a new venue bugs can be ironed out particularly with regard to safety. That "neutral" zone with large bunches of over eager mamils seems a disaster waiting to happen.

Cyclosportif 1 next week - which I plan on riding even slower cos I'll ride far on Saturday too. 

Traffic got directed through the whole Estate, Why?

Total waste of time!

Motorcycle Marshall's were Non Existent.

Group 2A was not controlled.

We got caught by 2B before we even left the Estate.

Edited by F.R.A.I.L. -K

Val de vie have had big events before. Traffic has always been a f#£@&up.

Here's ryk so proud of the R100m bridge that was supposed to sort it out! https://twitter.com/RykNeethling/status/1005799796286869504

I actually really liked the change of route. Having helshoogte at 65km makes it a great course. Just have the start finish at somewhere sensible like Boland park (cricket stadium).

Traffic got directed through the whole Estate, Why?

Total waste of time!

Motorcycle Marshall's were Non Existent.

Group 2A was not controlled.

We got caught by 2B before we even left the Estate.

a neutral zone without a lead car. Ha ha. What did they expect?!

They need Helshoogte at the start, or a climb like that to split the groups. This was always going to happen.

This was my last Stellies tour if they keep it at Val de Vie. Why take a scenic tour through the whole estate to park?

The facilities at the venue itself was first class. Only thing, the whole time it felt that the organisation was done by a team who is used only to running MTB races. Also, the start chute organisation was not good. And then the finish mat is almost 4km from where the spectators and families are waiting. What an anticlimax crossing the finish with only marshalls in attendance.

Edited by Moridin