Positioning mtb cleats further back on shoe

Chris NewbyFraser

Saw on a post above that moving cleats backwards solved the hot foot and pain in toes. How far back do you guys suggest I move the cleats. Or is it a try and test to find the best spot

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw on a post above that moving cleats backwards solved the hot foot and pain in toes. How far back do you guys suggest I move the cleats. Or is it a try and test to find the best spot

I would say try and test. My approach with these things is that I start with a big change and work back in small incriments.. You then feel the change more, as opposed to little bits at a time.

I have settled on the reat cleat screw, nearly, but not all the way back on most of my shoes. But as you can see some people like it to be nearly mid foot - so it's a very personal things.

Just remember your saddle height ans possibly position on the rails will also change along with the cleats.

Sibce starting this topic, I gave repositioned my cleats, placing them as far back in the mounting nuts as possible. It immediately felt more natural, despite my having used the traditional 'ball of foot' positioning since 1972. Had to drop the seat by about 15mm. I am experiencing some hotspot discomfort at the new pressure point but I must assume this is due to that part of my foot being unaccustomed to the load. Apart from this, the new position is an improvement.

I have had mine as far back as possible for many years and find that best. On MTB no issues but I do find on 2 of my road bikes, I assume the different geometry and sizes, I do get a little bit of toe of the shoe and front wheel 'overlap' but you need to turn real sharp ... Can be a bit disconcerting when it first happens but so far hasn't caused me any trouble

Moved my MTB c;eats as far back as possible (about  20 mm ) from the original position. Dropped saddle slightly. Maybe too soon to talk but no sign of hot feet on my 1st ride after the change. Changed my road shoes as well and it felt really  comfortable.