Riders attacked and assaulted on Jonkershoek road (13/01/2019)

JohanC

Hi Hubbers

Two of our friends were attacked and assaulted yesterday afternoon on the Jonkershoek road.

The driver made a U turn and tried to run over the cyclists with his vehicle. Thereafter he stopped and took a stick object and beat them up. Then another car stopped and 3 guys helped the driver beat up the cyclists further.

(The driver apparently said "the road does not belong to us etc".

The one cyclist took a video of the incident. A case has been opened at SAPS, PPA Legal and attorney was contacted.

Be safe.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news, sorry to hear.

Cyclist/driver relations are at an all time low. I fear that as South Africans become more angry we will see more of this.

Wow, wth... I sincerely hope the saps case turns into a court case with convictions. Wrist slapping does nothing but postpone the repeating criminal behaviour!

I hope you're all okay and without major injuries or bike damage.

Yeah, no sharing of beers afterwards or washing feet either. 

That's just madness. I'm assuming(hoping) the second car was his mates, would be even worse if it's just bystanders pitching in.

Let's hope these dudes are somewhere else when stellenbosch cycle tour rolls through town this sunday.

Holy Mackerel

Hope everyone is ok. What kind of a knob does this kind of thing? Feels like everyone on the road is on an emotional knife edge these days 

Definitely no possible way to justify that kind of response but I was surprised at how many people were riding 2 abreast down that road yesterday - lots of blind corners and generally very narrow so it's dangerous enough without cyclists making it even worse for themselves. Chat over beers afterwards, not during the ride (or stick to MTB riding if you want to be social - this is the route I've chosen after many years of road riding).

Given the number of riders on that road I assume the driver was provoked to actually turn around and come back for them.

Edited by Edge_Design

Tensions in SA are bonkers - give a rider(s) a toot of the horn and you get a middlefingerstorm and vocal instructions of who to have sex with - ask a driver(s) why they're flying past you with 1.5mm to spare and you'll get the same response.

And it's an election year - the accompanying racial division, finger pointing and general votefoolery should calm everyone right down.

This kind of thing is only going to get more common.

Definitely no possible way to justify that kind of response but I was surprised at how many people were riding 2 abreast down that road yesterday - lots of blind corners and generally very narrow so it's dangerous enough without cyclists making it even worse for themselves. Chat over beers afterwards, not during the ride (or stick to MTB riding if you want to be social - this is the route I've chosen after many years of road riding).

Given the number of riders on that road I assume the driver was provoked to actually turn around and come back for them.

this. but two two wrongs never make a right

Stupid question but are you sure they were both on the "roadway" drivers get angry when they cyclist side by side and often they are both in yellow lane and not illegal or one left of yellow line and other on roadway and even that is not illegal

Edited by Quagga