Dear mountain bikers.. from trail runners

Chris_

This is a call from those of us that share trails. Whether they’re the ones we’ve both paid for in entrance fees, or just on our local off-road paths, both are applicable.

My plea is for the re-introduction of calls from cyclists. Just a simple call of ‘behind’, ‘pass left’ or ‘pass right’ or whatever works in the moment. 

9 out of 10 times we will hear brakes, gravel moving, or talking coming up from behind, but those of you that have run before will know that our minds are probably in a dark place, or far far away, or perhaps even enjoying it, but the point is if runners do not hear you coming, it just makes for all parties to get frustrated and inconvenienced. 

I have no problem steeping aside from a piece of single track if I know you’re coming steaming up behind me. I’m sure (I hope) no trail runners expect you to head off through the bushes and thorns to go around a runner occupying the path. If it’s a double-lane track then perhaps just a confirmation on which side you are just so that everyone is on the same page and the runner doesn’t catch a surprise and dart in front of the bike.

Perhaps this is just an illustration of the rise in noobs in mtb riding (which is not a bad thing), in which case we really could do with the old guard dispensing with some education.

With love – your friendly trail runner

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bell works wonders!

I remember years ago there was talk of making this law. What happened there? It would indeed be an easy fix.

Okay trail runners - listen up. I'm ringing my bell! Now I'm shouting... "GET THOSE HEADPHONES OUT OF YOUR EARS AND ENJOY THE SOUNDS OF NATURE" Seriously - last time on Lions Head the guy had no idea despite me shouting ever more loudly as I approached. No issues at all, a friendly encounter. Bells are good - I need to replace mine - they get broken easily. 

Another thing runners need to do on shared use trails - eg jeep track. If in a large group, please don't occupy the entire width of the track. If you do, I will ring my bell and weave between you which could be scary. 

Its not just cyclists who need to pay attention to their surroundings and other trail users.

Saw a cyclist come barrelling down the green belt in constantia just outside the silver hurst estate. **** WAS yelling at two runners to get out of way while the slob passed them within mm. Not an endearing fellow but he carried out his actions with a huge grin indicating the entitlement is strong with him.

Please... This is not acceptable for interval training at 6 in the evening when the green belt is full of different user groups
Be lekker

This is a call from those of us that share trails. Whether they’re the ones we’ve both paid for in entrance fees, or just on our local off-road paths, both are applicable.

My plea is for the re-introduction of calls from cyclists. Just a simple call of ‘behind’, ‘pass left’ or ‘pass right’ or whatever works in the moment. 

9 out of 10 times we will hear brakes, gravel moving, or talking coming up from behind, but those of you that have run before will know that our minds are probably in a dark place, or far far away, or perhaps even enjoying it, but the point is if runners do not hear you coming, it just makes for all parties to get frustrated and inconvenienced. 

I have no problem steeping aside from a piece of single track if I know you’re coming steaming up behind me. I’m sure (I hope) no trail runners expect you to head off through the bushes and thorns to go around a runner occupying the path. If it’s a double-lane track then perhaps just a confirmation on which side you are just so that everyone is on the same page and the runner doesn’t catch a surprise and dart in front of the bike.

Perhaps this is just an illustration of the rise in noobs in mtb riding (which is not a bad thing), in which case we really could do with the old guard dispensing with some education.

With love – your friendly trail runner

MTBer have a right to be there, they pay trails fees too, dont tell them how to ride!

Edited by Patchelicious

Get those headphones out of your ears so you can hear nature. Chris King: "BzzzZZZZZzzzz....."

But Seriously: keep left, pass right, be considerate, make your presence known, acknowledge, greet. BzzzzZZZZZzzz....

The slower of the two should just make their presence know to the other and ask to pass/make way/restrain their dog. It's not that difficult. 

Learnt this the hard way the other day when I 'sneaked' pass some geyser walking his big ass German Shepherd and the pooch didn't take to kindly to me and got in a good couple of bites of my quad and knee. 

The slower of the two should just make their presence know to the other and ask to pass/make way/restrain their dog. It's not that difficult. 

Learnt this the hard way the other day when I 'sneaked' pass some geyser walking his big ass German Shepherd and the pooch didn't take to kindly to me and got in a good couple of bites of my quad and knee. 

How is that even possible with your vegan super powers?!?!