New Tires

Chubba

Hi all,

Question you have all heard before, but....

My Nobby Nics are done on my Ibis Ripley and i want to replace them with better performing tires The NN is not great over loose/loose over hard, so want something griper but don't want to increase rolling resistance or weight.

What you guys think about a Maxxis DHF 2.5 Mountain on the front and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the rear.

Or what other recommendations. I ride trails like Tygerberg trails/Tokai/Table Mountain/Signal Hill etc.

Thanks.

Edited by Chubba

That sounds like a nice going down fun, fast and loose combo to me!

I'm more into XC.. I have a 2.2 Ikon at the back to keep down rolling resistance, and an Ardent 2.4 on the front..that thing sticks to whatever I throw at it going down! Think you'll have fun with that on the back and the 2.5 DHF up front!

I used to ride Rocket Rons and Nobby Nics, but for some reason I ended up with snake bites and sidewall cuts with them all the time. 4000km in on this set of Maxxis and haven't had any issues or punctures yet. 

I'd say go for it! Sounds like a lekker combo.

Combo sounds good.

You can also go with the Aggressor on the rear, quick rolling and a better side knob than the Ardent.

I use the 2.35 DHF and High Roller (rear) at the moment. Had a Ardent on the rear at the start of winter, but the HR just felt more solid and grippy on off camber stuff.

The HR is now rather smooth, so I will slap the Ardent back on for now and look out for a decent price on a Aggressor. 

Hi all,

Question you have all heard before, but....

My Nobby Nics are done on my Ibis Ripley and i want to replace them with better performing tires The NN is not great over loose/loose over hard, so want something griper but don't want to increase rolling resistance or weight.

What you guys think about a Maxxis DHF 2.5 Mountain on the front and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the rear.

Or what other recommendations. I ride trails like Tygerberg trails/Tokai/Table Mountain/Signal Hill etc.

Thanks.

What about aggressor 2.5 front and 2.3 rear?

Combo sounds good.

You can also go with the Aggressor on the rear, quick rolling and a better side knob than the Ardent.

I use the 2.35 DHF and High Roller (rear) at the moment. Had a Ardent on the rear at the start of winter, but the HR just felt more solid and grippy on off camber stuff.

The HR is now rather smooth, so I will slap the Ardent back on for now and look out for a decent price on a Aggressor. 

Look I have a real distaste for Maxxiss tyres of late on the rear due to quite a few poopoo experiences with their sidewall of the Aggressor. The EXO and I do not get along.

The tread pattern on the Aggressor is really rad, but only comes in 2.5 in the EXO locally it seems...really poeffie.

The DHF is nice for sure...but let me suggest you try the new Spez Eliminator. 

Wow it has been really really great the last few weeks. It's kinda an upgraded Butcher and it sticks like snot on the loose over hardpack we tend to have a lot of here in CT and surrounds.

SO if you're interested give it a try, it also doesn't have the "death channel" found on both the DHF and the Butcher.

What about aggressor 2.5 front and 2.3 rear?

The 2.3 and the 2.5 are very different tyres. I sort of liked the 2.3 as a rear but wouldn't put it then 2.5 (which actually isn't that wide really) on the front as there are better tyres for the price. I've had a DHF / Ardent Race combo before which was a great summer combo. Now have a Eliminator / Slaughter combo which I think is perfect for a lot of the w.cape conditions and is just how has been said here. I don't have any bad feelings against Maxxis tyres, I just don't have any massive positives either. You seem to be on the more aggressive trails around CT so a good tyre is more of a pressing need than someone riding Tygerberg exclusively. 

Very nice combo you are considering, I ran it like that for a while. But I would suggest a Aggressor on the back, it rolls just as fast but offers better grip under braking as well as in corners.

Either way you won't go wrong though...

EDIT: I wouldn't reccommend the aggressor as a front tyre.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/test-the-new-specialized-eliminator-tire/

The 2.3 and the 2.5 are very different tyres. I sort of liked the 2.3 as a rear but wouldn't put it then 2.5 (which actually isn't that wide really) on the front as there are better tyres for the price. I've had a DHF / Ardent Race combo before which was a great summer combo. Now have a Eliminator / Slaughter combo which I think is perfect for a lot of the w.cape conditions and is just how has been said here. I don't have any bad feelings against Maxxis tyres, I just don't have any massive positives either. You seem to be on the more aggressive trails around CT so a good tyre is more of a pressing need than someone riding Tygerberg exclusively. 

Having one front and back would be pretty weighty tbh. I've used the butcher and can echo that it's not a great tyre. Best way to describe it was 'odd'. Not true 2.6 wide on a 27.5 33mm id or even close, felt like it moved about a lot on rocks and never felt secure when leaning over. Like it never actually hooked up and was waiting to get to that point. I had a GRID version, control casing is as supportive as a tissue condom. Maybe a BLK DMND version would be better but if I get another front tyre in the near future it'll be another Eliminator in BLK DMND. Might go for the E13 Slaughter next time for the back just to annoy the OCD people I ride with. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

I've tried several tyre combos last year and I agree NN is not that great overall. Ran 2.4 Onza Ibex (similar to DHF) up fron and Ardent 2.4 Rear (both high volume tyres) I burbed the Ibex and put another Ardent on the front, big mistake as it does not hook up well at all as front tyre unless you are more XC orientated and don't try to slam into the corners and berms). I am now running DHF 2.3 Front and Aggressor 2.3 Rear and have not had a tyre loose traction and I ride aggressively. On your wider rims you can go with a DHF 2.5 WT / Aggressor 2.4 WT as this will improve you ride even more. 

Having one front and back would be pretty weighty tbh. I've used the butcher and can echo that it's not a great tyre. Best way to describe it was 'odd'. Not true 2.6 wide on a 27.5 33mm id or even close, felt like it moved about a lot on rocks and never felt secure when leaning over. Like it never actually hooked up and was waiting to get to that point. I had a GRID version, control casing is as supportive as a tissue condom. Maybe a BLK DMND version would be better but if I get another front tyre in the near future it'll be another Eliminator in BLK DMND. Might go for the E13 Slaughter next time for the back just to annoy the OCD people I ride with. 

That vague feeling on the Butcher is due to the Death Gap between the mid and edge knobs. There are literally NO transition knobs to speak of, and that gap is wiiiiide. 

Chubba - My recommendation would be either the Eliminator / Slaughter 2.6 combo (the 2.6 really isn't wide, it's about 1-2mm wider than the DHF 2.5WT and Mary 2.35) in GRID casing, or a Mary / Slaughter combo. If the Slaughter is available in Black Diamond casing, that's what I'd go for. 

The Slaughter is a GREAT tyre, but if you're looking for something a bit chunkier, the Aggressor 2.5 Doubledown is apparently landing mid-Feb, and the Assegai Exo Plus (stronger casing than Exo, which is poo-poo) in March. I wouldn't put an EXO casing tyre on the back for TM. Grid casing on the Slaughter is stronger, and the Black Diamond casing version should also be landing soon, and that's one step below a full DH casing. 

FWIW next front I'm going with will be the eliminator GRID 2.6 and the Mary will go to the rear until it's dead, at which point I'll prob get a Slaughter Black Diamond or an Aggressor 2.5DD. 

I'm over putting anything other than a gravity-based casing tyre on the back. Table Mountain's rocks just eat anything else. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Thanks Mayhem, they didn't have stock of the Maxxis so went with your suggestion, both 2.6 and Grid. Black diamond not in stock.

That vague feeling on the Butcher is due to the Death Gap between the mid and edge knobs. There are literally NO transition knobs to speak of, and that gap is wiiiiide. 

Chubba - My recommendation would be either the Eliminator / Slaughter 2.6 combo (the 2.6 really isn't wide, it's about 1-2mm wider than the DHF 2.5WT and Mary 2.35) in GRID casing, or a Mary / Slaughter combo. If the Slaughter is available in Black Diamond casing, that's what I'd go for. 

The Slaughter is a GREAT tyre, but if you're looking for something a bit chunkier, the Aggressor 2.5 Doubledown is apparently landing mid-Feb, and the Assegai Exo Plus (stronger casing than Exo, which is poo-poo) in March. I wouldn't put an EXO casing tyre on the back for TM. Grid casing on the Slaughter is stronger, and the Black Diamond casing version should also be landing soon, and that's one step below a full DH casing. 

FWIW next front I'm going with will be the eliminator GRID 2.6 and the Mary will go to the rear until it's dead, at which point I'll prob get a Slaughter Black Diamond or an Aggressor 2.5DD. 

I'm over putting anything other than a gravity-based casing tyre on the back. Table Mountain's rocks just eat anything else. 

Thanks Mayhem, they didn't have stock of the Maxxis so went with your suggestion, both 2.6 and Grid. Black diamond not in stock.

Lekka. The Slaughter is a rad tyre. Only time I've really wished for more straight-line braking traction is in Jonkers in the wet on Status Quo cos it's loamy and muddy and under the trees, and when the Glen was a mudpit. But when you lean it over, it GRIPS. Has been excellent for everything else, and rolls lekker fast as well. Lemme know how you like the Eliminator!

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Lekka. The Slaughter is a rad tyre. Only time I've really wished for more straight-line braking traction is in Jonkers in the wet on Status Quo cos it's loamy and muddy and under the trees, and when the Glen was a mudpit. But when you lean it over, it GRIPS. Has been excellent for everything else, and rolls lekker fast as well. Lemme know how you like the Eliminator!

I've used the Slaughter in everything an I am amazed at how lekker it is. You don't spit stones when climbing out of the saddle, straight line braking hasn't been an issue at all and the only time I've had a slight surprise has been in pure dust bowl DH trails like Helsend then it just drifts on some corners but in a really satisfying way and then just hooks up and goes. 

Edit: I'm guessing mud, wet grass and that sort of thing wouldn't be so good at alll but I don't really ride those situations so DGAF

Edited by Dirt Tracker