New Tires

Chubba

That vague feeling on the Butcher is due to the Death Gap between the mid and edge knobs. There are literally NO transition knobs to speak of, and that gap is wiiiiide. 

Chubba - My recommendation would be either the Eliminator / Slaughter 2.6 combo (the 2.6 really isn't wide, it's about 1-2mm wider than the DHF 2.5WT and Mary 2.35) in GRID casing, or a Mary / Slaughter combo. If the Slaughter is available in Black Diamond casing, that's what I'd go for. 

The Slaughter is a GREAT tyre, but if you're looking for something a bit chunkier, the Aggressor 2.5 Doubledown is apparently landing mid-Feb, and the Assegai Exo Plus (stronger casing than Exo, which is poo-poo) in March. I wouldn't put an EXO casing tyre on the back for TM. Grid casing on the Slaughter is stronger, and the Black Diamond casing version should also be landing soon, and that's one step below a full DH casing. 

FWIW next front I'm going with will be the eliminator GRID 2.6 and the Mary will go to the rear until it's dead, at which point I'll prob get a Slaughter Black Diamond or an Aggressor 2.5DD. 

I'm over putting anything other than a gravity-based casing tyre on the back. Table Mountain's rocks just eat anything else. 

So I was right.................. :whistling:  :P

Hi all,

Question you have all heard before, but....

My Nobby Nics are done on my Ibis Ripley and i want to replace them with better performing tires The NN is not great over loose/loose over hard, so want something griper but don't want to increase rolling resistance or weight.

What you guys think about a Maxxis DHF 2.5 Mountain on the front and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on the rear.

Or what other recommendations. I ride trails like Tygerberg trails/Tokai/Table Mountain/Signal Hill etc.

Thanks.

those are competing requirements. 

However it sounds like you need a tyre with more aggressive tread pattern. Magic M :ph34r: ry maybe?

those are competing requirements. 

However it sounds like you need a tyre with more aggressive tread pattern. Magic M :ph34r: ry maybe?

I've been riding the MM on the front for about 2 years now and it's been amazing. Both the Snakeskin adn the Supergravity casing. TM/Signal hill are unforgiving on tyres for me. 

I recently bought an Eliminator and moved my slightly worn MM to the rear as my Aggressor WT Exo (spit) and FOAMO were being useless. Anyhoo, i wanted to try something new on the front and the Eliminator seemed rad.

Well...I will say this...it's better than my MM for the type of terrain on TM area in the summer. It grips really really well. The MM for sure will be better on slightly more soil-like dirt, but for the loose over hard and exposed rocks I kinda feel the Eliminator is being more consistent and predictable.

Now if ONLY Schwalbe made the Eliminator tread pattern with a Super Gravity casing...i'd be all over that like Trump on a cheeseburger!

Where are you guys buying the Eliminator from, and how much If I may ask?

Spoke about it on some other threads I know, but It really looks good, fast rolling and still agressive side knobs that I dont see on the Aggressor. 

To me it was either this, DHR, or another IBEX, but I might try this. 

What's all this talk about TM shredding tyres.... Been riding the mountain for years and never had any issues with my tyres.

Spoke about it on some other threads I know, but It really looks good, fast rolling and still agressive side knobs that I dont see on the Aggressor. 

Any Spez Concept store. I go to Revolution in town. R880 i believe it was.

Edited by Thermophage

Spazzzzzzzzzzzz

Revolution R880.

So the guys made a bloops and put a Purgatory on the rear instead of the slaughter...what you recon?

yeah, but you're a fairy, by your own assertions... :P

So the guys made a bloops and put a Purgatory on the rear instead of the slaughter...what you recon?

Lol. Just slower rolling and more upright braking traction. Same side knobs, I think. Fine tyre for the back. 2.6? Gripton Grid?

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Had a Purg on the rear of my old 26'er stumpy and it was not a lekker tyre .... felt like it "fish tailed" under braking. For some reason it was better on the front though.

Get them to put on what you asked for.

Had a Purg on the rear of my old 26'er stumpy and it was not a lekker tyre .... felt like it "fish tailed" under braking. For some reason it was better on the front though.

Yep. This. I'd get them to put on the slaughter tbh

+1. Also had a purgatory on the rear for a while, was not lekker. It also rolls very slowly, you really have to pedal to overcome the resistance. On the front it was fine.

Slaughter on the othet hand is a great tyre on the rear.

Get them to swop it if you haven't already gone for a ride.