[Event] Race to the Sun

advenduranceteam

Event Name: Race to the Sun
When: 16 February 2019
Where: Schoemansville Die Oewer, North West
Category: MTB

Race to the Sun is a 167km gravel- and mountain bike journey from Hartbeespoort Dam to Sun City.

The event will kick off at the same venue as 2018, from Schoemansville Die Oewer at Hartbeespoort Dam. The route will wind along farm roads, canals and tar roads through Brits, Rustenburg and Pilansberg, to ultimately finish at the palace of dreams – Sun City.

The race is known to test the endurance of many athletes and challenge them in many ways along the route. You can either do the race as a solo rider, team of two/four or as a relay team (84km each).

Here’s what to expect in 2019:

167-kilometres of gravel bike racing

7 Water points (47km, 66km, 84km, 112km, 132km, 150km and 167km)

Massive prize money

Safe routes

3x Sun City Valley of Waves entries (who will you bring along?)

Discount to accommodation at Sun City

Finisher t-shirt

Official race Sox

Entries are limited to 2000 riders.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm considering giving this a go but aside from the obvious question of whether my legs will get me through it or not I'm not too sure about the navigation side of things.
The website states that gps devices are compulsory and although I don't have one I think I read somewhere that a cellphone is fine to use as a gps device.
The problem is that while you can load routes into Strava it doesn't give audio cues.

So my question for the folks who have done this race before is if there are enough riders for me to follow and just keep my phone in my pack in case I get lost or does the bunch get so spread out that I have to duct tape it onto my handlebars to keep track of the route? 

I'm considering giving this a go but aside from the obvious question of whether my legs will get me through it or not I'm not too sure about the navigation side of things.

The website states that gps devices are compulsory and although I don't have one I think I read somewhere that a cellphone is fine to use as a gps device.

The problem is that while you can load routes into Strava it doesn't give audio cues.

So my question for the folks who have done this race before is if there are enough riders for me to follow and just keep my phone in my pack in case I get lost or does the bunch get so spread out that I have to duct tape it onto my handlebars to keep track of the route? 

I did this race last year and to be honest, the GPS wasn't used all that much for navigation. There was enough people around to follow. 

Edited by DBAD

I did this race last year and to be honest, the GPS wasn't used all that much for navigation. There was enough people around to follow. 

DBAD - Ditto !

Had my garmin however not once did I require to look at the derections , I followed the wheels informnt of me with success . . . 

@Croglet , ita time to enter . . . its a greaet day out !

I've been drooling over this one since last year, but 167km in my own company sounds like pushing it haha. Does anyone know if this event will qualify for the team vitality entry discount?

Cool, so the gps issue doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue at all.
The other, far more pressing concern is whether I'll actually be able to complete it or have to call the missus and do the drive of shame to the finish line. 
I've never ridden anywhere near 168km. Did a few 100km rides over the last month or so and I managed 120km yesterday but I was properly buggered. 
How doable is this distance for someone who's hurting after 100km on a normal XC trail?  :blink: 

Cool, so the gps issue doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue at all.

The other, far more pressing concern is whether I'll actually be able to complete it or have to call the missus and do the drive of shame to the finish line. 

I've never ridden anywhere near 168km. Did a few 100km rides over the last month or so and I managed 120km yesterday but I was properly buggered. 

How doable is this distance for someone who's hurting after 100km on a normal XC trail?  :blink: 

This is just a flat ride on district roads and maybe some jeeptrack. You'll be fine.

So, what's the expectation for road conditions this year? Last year there were some pretty badly corrugated sections.

On MTBs, what tyres are guys planning on running? Some people say that running a XC 2.3 nice and soft is ideal but I'm not sure that's at all right.

Did anyone receive the info?  (Or is it the same as per booklet on website?)

From FB:

Riders, briefs have been sent out today, we're keeping you updated with the final checks to see that you are ready to enjoy race day! 

Did anyone receive the info?  (Or is it the same as per booklet on website?)

From FB:

The info is the same as the booklet on the website with links to the gpx files (which can be downloaded from the website as well).