Garmin watch options - need advice

Chingy182

What is the best HR strap to pair with a Garmin watch for running and other non-water sports.

Best as in gives good reliable data.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best HR strap to pair with a Garmin watch for running and other non-water sports.

I've used Garmin ones since forever and quite like them...

My soft strap gave up then changed it with Polar one, zero issues in 4years.

I'm using the Fenix 5x plus, cannot recommend it enough.

I picked up a Garmin premium HRM and Footpod for R300 total, both work very well (Footpod for running and treadmill stuff).

I like the Wahoo Tickr Belt it comes with Bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+ dual-band.

I like the Wahoo Tickr Belt it comes with Bluetooth 4.0 and ANT+ dual-band.

So let me just get this right... the Garmin watches pairs with all of these HR straps?

I was looking at the Tri Bundle watches and only found out from another post that it actually comes with 2 HR straps, one of which is specifically used for swimming HR measurement.

The bundle is about R2700 more expensive than just the watch.

I can then just buy the watch and a regular Garmin HR strap for R800?

So let me just get this right... the Garmin watches pairs with all of these HR straps?

I was looking at the Tri Bundle watches and only found out from another post that it actually comes with 2 HR straps, one of which is specifically used for swimming HR measurement.

The bundle is about R2700 more expensive than just the watch.

I can then just buy the watch and a regular Garmin HR strap for R800?

I use the Wahoo Tickr Belt with my Garmin 935. 

I prefer the Wahoo strap because of the Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity it connects to most apps, smartphones and GPS watches. The Garmin strap only comes with ANT +.

Edited by _David_

This really looks like a very good an affordable option.

I must agree that I don't think I'm going to like the Casio watch face, but at half the price and very near to Fenix 5 features, it's a goodie.

post-7694-0-07955000-1547642833.jpegGet this. My wife has a Fenix and I'm telling you. if you want a Fenix without the price, get this watch.

post-7694-0-07955000-1547642833.jpegGet this. My wife has a Fenix and I'm telling you. if you want a Fenix without the price, get this watch.

I almost bought the Garmin Instinct but it doesn't support power-meters.

The Vivoactive3 is notorious for issues when it comes to elevation gains (if that is important to you).  My wife's VA3 has no issues.  Mine is plagued by them.

For example, on Sunday's Dirtopia ride and run, I had an elevation gain of 1300m.  At least with Strava it can be fixed, but you cant edit out the faulty data points in Garmin Connect

I looked an looked and looked an eventually decided on the vivoactive 3. Does everything I need cept open water swimming but I just use the walk activity and change it in the app an strava.

I then use a screen protector that run cheap here. Had tthe a year now and no scratches due to protector, probably not as good as a sapphire screen but these Garmin devices are designed for obsolescence so they only last 2 or 3 years then they either fail or we buy a newer model

I almost bought the Garmin Instinct but it doesn't support power-meters.

That I why I have the Edge520 on my bike. I paid for the combo less than the price of the Fenix.

I know, it may be easier to have just one device but, I have seen guys smash their watches when wiping out. So I opted to rather take the edge plus the instinct. Train with Instinct. Ride with Edge. :-)

I guess it all comes down to choice.

The Vivoactive3 is notorious for issues when it comes to elevation gains (if that is important to you).  My wife's VA3 has no issues.  Mine is plagued by them.

For example, on Sunday's Dirtopia ride and run, I had an elevation gain of 1300m.  At least with Strava it can be fixed, but you cant edit out the faulty data points in Garmin Connect

Have you taken your VA3 to Garmin for an inspection? It would be interesting if they were able to easily "repair" it.

I got my VA3 today, hoping I don't have one of these elevation failures I've read about as well.

I haven't

Too scared for the "we need to send it away" story, especially as I got it on the Vitality Device Benefit and have to go through Sportsman's Warehouse

Have you taken your VA3 to Garmin for an inspection? It would be interesting if they were able to easily "repair" it.
I got my VA3 today, hoping I don't have one of these elevation failures I've read about as well.