Gauteng Road Race Championships

Vetplant

56 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

Valid points on colours.

It used to be like that. you were selected for SAs. Dont know why it changed - might well have been numbers.

So the road commission is working on sometihn like this. For youth SAs, the SA champs is also an interprovincial competition. Riders are selected, provincials is a required race, and a winning provinces is awarded a floating trophy. Gauteng won it 2020 and WC 2021.

One of the challenges with this, even at that young age, is riders want to race in club/sponsored kit, not in Gauteng kit - we overcame that with provincial sox - great initiative. Every province riders are recognisable by their provincial socks. Quite cool.

Maybe one day we can try that for elites/vets too.

Apology for the overshare but there are people behind the scenes slaving to improve things in babysteps so your points are noticed Spinnekop.

I like this VERY much.  

I know you guys put a LOT of time and effort into the sport.  It definitely does not go unnoticed.  And it is admired and appreciated.  
Personally the above format sounds perfect.

Gut feel why the whole system changed was to get more MONEY into CSA as a rider only needs a license to compete at SA and not EARN his spot there.  

Edited by Spinnekop

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

Agreed. I didn’t even know it was now.

14 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

The main reason, and this has been the issue for years, well before covid. Provincials are not communicated, advertised or marketed well. At all. 
Where they have, which is rarely, they’ve been well attended by both supporters and competition. 
I saw and heard more about WP than anything about Gauteng where I live.

KZN and WP have often been the most consistent overall. Gauteng could perhaps take a page from MTB in the last year or so. Can also appreciate how difficult it can be with all the BS politics and bureaucracy.

Come, come guys.......Provincials have been the second week in Jan for the past 5-10 years in a row?  It does not take rocket science to get info on an event that racers keep their eye on........ 
Just saying........

1 hour ago, warick_wrx said:

Bloem would probably be fair to all !

1 hour ago, Holmsie said:

I'd argue that Oudtshoorn is fair to all. It's out of everybody's way. 

51 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Better than Hoedspruit.....

7 minutes ago, babse said:

why is this?

lack of funding? 

lack of paid and responsible people in the right positions?

I did the WC event 2 weeks back. Ran like an event in the 90s. No online info (im not on FB), entry needed to be filled out on paper and sent to a certain person and then there was no timing system. I never made the official results posted a week and half later and not even bothered to query. 

The very next week, the Winelands Cycle Race is Marketed, communicated and run proper with decent timing (racetec).

So an old saying in business..............
Location, location, location.

The above points refer.

As I understand it, CSA puts out a "tender" to host SA champs.
The towns / Provinces then have to tender/pitch a proposal and then CSA decides who "wins".
Then CSA basically shoves the organisation and responsibility / cost down to the Province / town.  

In the past.....because it is SA's, there are not many (if any) sponsors involved.  This makes the event a bit of a bastard and the town / province is usually left out of pocket after the event.  
So nobody puts their hand up anymore.......
Hence the random spots selected..........

My solution would be for CSA to host the event. 
They organise. 
They budget for it out of our license fees and lotto money.  
Pick a town.  Bloem.  CT.  Pretoria.  Airports and rentals are important.  
Keep it there for a couple of years.  (Consistency)

19 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Come, come guys.......Provincials have been the second week in Jan for the past 5-10 years in a row?  It does not take rocket science to get info on an event that racers keep their eye on........ 
Just saying........

Agreed.... but therein also lies the problem.  The same riders enter every year and a lot of potential entrants don't hear about the event.  The provinces should "invite" the top 50 or 100 seeded riders in each category.  That with a bit of timely event info should boost numbers.  More riders would licence and licence fees would drop.... ok... maybe not increase so much!

Clubs could also do a lot more to encourage racing.  I belong to the biggest in the country and not a peep about provincials or even nationals.

33 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Pick a town.  Bloem.  
Keep it there for a couple of years.  (Consistency)

:clap:

2 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Just saying........

Yeah, and that is part of the problem. 

20 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Just saying........

Cheers, this actually proves my point.