Johann Rissik RIP

Prince Albert Cycles

Johann still owned his house in PA , his elderly Father lives here as well as his brother David.

He and Sandra were living between Prince Albert and Madeira. They were planning to come back in May. Recently he told me via mail that his original dikwiel kommando fiets was up for sale when he returns in May. His 29" GT SS with a unique leather bag and grips.

Thanks for that info,

here is the blog of his Sishen-Saldanha ride on the GT peace.

http://johannrissik.blogspot.com/2008/10/sishen-saldanha-ride-i-am-sharing-this.html

Seeing this I realise I actually spoke to him trying to track down the elusive mr Graeme Murray about his saddles, Johann's reply

Comrade,

With pleasure.

Xxxxxxxxxx

Always pleased to be able to help the faithful.

Johann

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help but think of Johann and Tumbles.

Two of the most enlightening contributors on the Hub.

Glad to have met both. Most down to earth blokes I have ever had the pleasure of talking too.

Thanks guys......

Don’t forget BDF, one of the coolest and kindest Hubbers we have ever had.

In the "Post your woodwork here" forum, I once mentioned that I used animal glue. Next thing, a message pops up from Johann. He had an antique glue pot that had been in the house when he bought it. On a trip to Cape Town, he remembered to bring it with, then arranged to meet me on the N1 and passed it over with all good wishes. So I only met him and his son briefly, but just that one simple action gave me incredible respect for him.

(But I also have to say, in the sane breath, that Bikehub always amazes me in the quality of good, good people I've met or interacted with. Thank you all!) 

RIP Johann! And my thoughts to your family.

The funeral service for Johann will be at 12 tomorrow ( Monday ) our time in Madeira. This will be followed by his cremation . His ashes will be scattered there once his son Harry is home from a sailing trip between St Helena and Cape Town . The family has asked that I thank all for the kind words on this forum . It has made a huge difference to them .

Rest in peace Johann!

We met through Graeme Murray when he (Johann) was on the last leg of his Sishen-Saldanha Tour. We kept in touch since and it has been a privilege and pleasure knowing him. His "chain lube" works a treat on salads!

post-84122-0-54934300-1548668740_thumb.jpg

Lovely to hear all the stories of how he touched people's lives in so many different ways.

While he will be sorely missed - I do have a strange sense that he was one of the people who always fully gave of himself (his time, experience, things) - there isnt that sense of regret so often found when someone passes on - a sense of wishing there was more - with Johann you knew that you got his best right then, nevermind what tomorrow might bring.

An example of a life well lived.

The funeral service for Johann will be at 12 tomorrow ( Monday ) our time in Madeira. This will be followed by his cremation . His ashes will be scattered there once his son Harry is home from a sailing trip between St Helena and Cape Town . The family has asked that I thank all for the kind words on this forum . It has made a huge difference to them .

Hope it all went well?

I usually do not attend these services but I guess this one would have been special.

RIP Johann

Rest in peace Johann!

We met through Graeme Murray when he (Johann) was on the last leg of his Sishen-Saldanha Tour. We kept in touch since and it has been a privilege and pleasure knowing him. His "chain lube" works a treat on salads!

Nice post.

Help me out here.

That contains olive oil from the region, right?

Bottle JR labeled bottle for sale?

Replace JR face on that of the commandos?

Some charity sale?

Nice post.

Help me out here.

That contains olive oil from the region, right?

Bottle JR labeled bottle for sale?

Replace JR face on that of the commandos?

Some charity sale?

Johann gave me the olive oil on one of his visits. Didn't ask questions. :(

I just felt honoured to get something from the Dikwiel Kommando. :)

Now it is even more special and I feel even more honoured having known him.

Found this: http://fiforiders.blogspot.com/2012/05/dikwiel-kommando-kettang-oil-now-in.html

Ladies and gents, Its not usually my style to drop into a new forum in a far away country foot first but, such is life sometimes.

I woke up at 8am Tuesday morning to 2 whattsapp messages. 1. was from Sandra " I need to speak to you urgently, when is a good time?". Thats weird I thought, Sandra never messages me directly. Has Johann chopped a finger off with his grinder or something stupid? I wondered... 2. was from Johanns brother in law John who started in the same RASA batch as me, but I also don't have that much contact with him. " Has Sandra phoned you yet?"  **** I thought, the silly bugger has fallen off the roof or something stupid. Just hours before we were messaging about my rental road bike with its square tyres and my concerns about crashing downhill from El Teide. "Life is too short for that" was almost the last message I read from him.

To hear the cheeky bastard had checked out during the night and abandoned the rest of us to finish life without him broke my heart. Johann is one of those people that probably has a dozen friends that call him their best friend, I'm one of them. From almost daily contact, banter, chatting, tip swapping, him being my boxes bitch for RASA, ranting, brainstorming, planning my next race together to instant silence is indescribable. 

Under the moto of writing heals I quickly wrote a post about Johann that has already been shared here. And yes, it did help a lot, as did the preparation for a hangover.

It is no suprise to me that so many people have great stories to share about this humble, generous and kind farmer boy. But at the same time its very heart warming to read them all. Thanks every for your contribution here, on FB and Twitter.

Only 2 questions remain:

1. When is the DWK kommando ride?

2. When will the Sishen Saldanha ride be suitably renamed to Rissik rail ride (copyright Leon) Or the Rissik memorial route (Compulsory Singlespeed route of course).

Regards

Sgt. Khaki 

aka. Shane