First time buyer: Cannondale Scalpel-SI 6 Vs Merida Ninety-Six 600

KnavishStream

Hi guys, 

Help on this would be greatly appreciated! :clap:

I am a roadie looking to dabble in some mtbing - in my long search for a mtb within my price range - the options have been narrowed down to the 'Cannondale Scalpel-SI 6' and the 'Merida Ninety-Six 600'. I would really appreciate the hubs advice on both these bikes. 

Below is the low down on each bike (apologies for adding in ALL the detail, just have no clue what's important to look at and what isn't):

Cannondale:

FRAME: Scalpel-Si, 100mm, SmartForm C1 Alloy, Zero Pivot seatstay, Carbon Link, PF30, 1.5 Si head tube, Ai Offset

FORK: RockShox Reba RL, 100mm, Solo Air, Tapered Steerer, Maxle Lite, 51mm offset

REAR SHOCK: RockShox Monarch RL, 100mm

RIMS: Stan's NoTubes Crest S1, 32 hole, tubeless ready

HUBS: Formula DC51 front, Formula DHT-142x12, (Ai Offset dish - Rear)

SPOKES: DT-Swiss Champion (Ai Offset dish - Rear)

TIRES: WTB Nineline Comp 29x2.25" DNA Compound.

PEDALS: Not included

CRANK: Cannondale Si, BB30, 36/26 CNC Rings

BOTTOM BRACKET: Cannondale Alloy PressFit30

CHAIN: KMC X11, 11-speed

REAR COGS: SunRace, 11-40, 11-speed

FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano SLX, side swing

REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT Shadow Plus, 11-speed

SHIFTERS: Shimano SLX , 1x11-speed

HANDLEBAR: Cannondale C3 flat, Butted AL6061 Alloy, 760mm

GRIPS: Cannondale Locking Grips

STEM: Cannondale C3, 6061 Alloy, 1.125", 31.8, -5°

HEADSET: Cannondale HeadShok Si

BRAKES: Shimano Deore MT500 hydro disc, 180/160mm

BRAKE LEVERS: Shimano Deore MT500 hydro disc

SADDLE: Cannondale Stage 3

SEATPOST: Cannondale C3, 6061 alloy, 31.6x350mm (S,M) 400mm (L,X)

SIZES: M,L,XL (29")

Merida:

FRAME NINETY-SIX LITE

96mm suspension travel

FRAME SIZE M, L, XL

COLOR GLOSSY BLACK ((BLUE/SILVER))

FORK Manitou Markhor Comp

SHOCK Rock Shox Monarch RL

BRAKE FRONT Shimano MT-500

BRAKE REAR Shimano MT-500

BRAKE LEVER Shimano MT-500

HEADSET FSA NO.55E

HANDLEBAR MERIDA Expert CC

HANDLEBAR STEM MERIDA Expert CC

GRIP MERIDA Comp EC

DERAILLEUR FRONT no

DERAILLEUR REAR Sram NX Eagle

SHIFTER FRONT no

SHIFTER REAR Sram NX Eagle

SEAT POST MERIDA Comp CC

SEAT CLAMP MERIDA Expert

SADDLE MERIDA Comp CC

CHAIN Sram NX Eagle

CHAINWHEEL Sram NX Eagle

32 teeth

FREEWHEEL Sram NX 1230 Eagle

11-50 teeth

12 speed

BOTTOM BRAKET Sram BB DUB PF MTB 92

RIM MERIDA Comp CC

TIRE FRONT Maxxis Ikon

TIRE REAR Maxxis Ikon

HUB FRONT Shimano MT400-B

HUB REAR Shimano MT400-B

AXLE REAR JD-QR48R Boost axle 12x148mm

ROTOR FRONT Shimano RT10

ROTOR REAR Shimano RT10

SPOKES Double Butted Black stainless

WEIGHT 13.13 kg

Yo Steve, what sort of riding are you going to be doing? Dirt roadie-ing, or MTB proper?

If MTB proper, and you're not going to be racing at the pointy end for position or on the XCO circuit, I'd point you towards the Merida 120 instead of the 96, purely due to the fact that it's a more effective all-rounder than the 96, which is an all-out XCO/XCM race machine, and is built on the premise that most of the pilots will have sufficient technical prowess to overcome the inferior handling characteristics & geometry when compared to bikes like the 120 & Spark (non RC) which are more confidence inspiring and forgiving, especially for a noob to the MTB world. 

Of those, though, I'd go for the 'dale any day of the week, due to the more modern geometry and better fork. However, depending on your weight, I'd swap out the stock CREST wheelset for something a bit more hardy, like the Arch or Flow (also from Stans) and I'd change the rear cassette from the advertised 11-40 to an 11-46 or 11-50 (also a SUNRACE - cheap and far better gear spacing than the Shimano options in the same category) in order to get a better range of gears. The wheelset change should be a no-cost item, and the Sunrace cassettes are cheap. 

Yo Steve, what sort of riding are you going to be doing? Dirt roadie-ing, or MTB proper?

If MTB proper, and you're not going to be racing at the pointy end for position or on the XCO circuit, I'd point you towards the Merida 120 instead of the 96, purely due to the fact that it's a more effective all-rounder than the 96, which is an all-out XCO/XCM race machine, and is built on the premise that most of the pilots will have sufficient technical prowess to overcome the inferior handling characteristics & geometry when compared to bikes like the 120 & Spark (non RC) which are more confidence inspiring and forgiving, especially for a noob to the MTB world. 

Of those, though, I'd go for the 'dale any day of the week, due to the more modern geometry and better fork. However, depending on your weight, I'd swap out the stock CREST wheelset for something a bit more hardy, like the Arch or Flow (also from Stans) and I'd change the rear cassette from the advertised 11-40 to an 11-46 or 11-50 (also a SUNRACE - cheap and far better gear spacing than the Shimano options in the same category) in order to get a better range of gears. The wheelset change should be a no-cost item, and the Sunrace cassettes are cheap. 

Wow! thanks so much for the detailed reply - I really appreciate it. 

I am wanting to do a bit of both - I am entered for Race to the Sun on the 16th Feb, but would also love to start getting into stage races such as Sani etc. I have had experience on trails - but was a while ago before I found the dark side of road riding!

I weigh just shy of 80kgs - will look at the option of changing out the wheel set. 

Thanks again for the response!

Okay, stage races don't really necessitate an XCO/XCM weapon, particularly if you're not at the pointy end of the field. A merida 120 / scott spark / giant Trance 9er may be the better bet, if you're looking at a bit of everything. Put it this way - a 120mm bike will generally have a much larger margin-for-suckage than a 100mm bike, and will be far less likely to pitch you otb (or make you FEEL as if you're gonna go OTB) if you get something wrong. 

Wow! thanks so much for the detailed reply - I really appreciate it. 

I am wanting to do a bit of both - I am entered for Race to the Sun on the 16th Feb, but would also love to start getting into stage races such as Sani etc. I have had experience on trails - but was a while ago before I found the dark side of road riding!

I weigh just shy of 80kgs - will look at the option of changing out the wheel set. 

Thanks again for the response!

What Myles said. 90%+ of riders on the whippet XC bikes should be on 120mm bikes with more relaxed geometry. They arent slow by any means and are a lot more fun.