DSL WIFI modem suggestions

MJ the Expat

What DSL modem do you suggest for home use, 8-10Mb ADSL line. Don't wanna break the bank.

Our complex has not yet approved fibre an I am gatvol of waiting.

Honestly the router doesnt make much difference with such low throughputs. 

The only real difference might be the wifi the router has if you use that as your main AP in your house. Even then its more for device to device communications. 802.11B would even be fine for a 10mb link :D                                                                                                          

Honestly the router doesnt make much difference with such low throughputs. 

The only real difference might be the wifi the router has if you use that as your main AP in your house. Even then its more for device to device communications. 802.11B would even be fine for a 10mb link :D                                                                                                          

If you have good coverage.

Anyways, I absolutely swear by these, I had them in my place (pre-fibre), it's in my mom's place, it's in my site office, it's at our head office, and at least 3 friends also have it.

Edit: In fact, I think mine is currently chilling in the cupboard at home, and if you're willing to barter a bit you can have it, I'm also in Pretoria. Bought on 22 July 2018.

Edited by bertusras

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old topic rather than creating a new one....

Looking for some router advice.

We have an Mweb router that came with the installation and set up when we first installed our fibre line. Router has been playing up recently so I think it might be coming to the end of its life....I have another Huawei (Telkom) router lying around...so two questions:

1.) Can I just swap one for the other?

2.) Is it easy enough to set the new one up?

We have an Mweb router that came with the installation and set up when we first installed our fibre line. Router has been playing up recently so I think it might be coming to the end of its life....I have another Huawei (Telkom) router lying around...so two questions:

You will need to setup the ADSL login, and the WiFi SSID and pw

Do factory reset (button on the back) - find a setup guide on the interwebs and go from there

Consider buying one of these.

Dirt cheap but SUPER Strong Wifi signal. Plays nicely with the Fibre ONT device and is easy to setup.

https://www.firstshop.co.za/netis-wf2710-wireless-router-WF2710-p-41743

Suggested by a colleague and I took the chance because of the low price. The Wifi Range outperformed all of the previous Household Name brands I owned before. It also allows you to schedule a daily/weekly restart of the Router itself, which helps with network stability when you need it.(IT support: Have you tried switching it off and on again. It really solves allot of IT problems)

Don't know what they do to get such a strong signal, but it works.

You will need to setup the ADSL login, and the WiFi SSID and pw

Do factory reset (button on the back) - find a setup guide on the interwebs and go from there

Thanks. Assuming I can get the ADSL login, SSID and PW from the existing unit?

Consider buying one of these.

Dirt cheap but SUPER Strong Wifi signal. Plays nicely with the Fibre ONT device and is easy to setup.

https://www.firstshop.co.za/netis-wf2710-wireless-router-WF2710-p-41743

Suggested by a colleague and I took the chance because of the low price. The Wifi Range outperformed all of the previous Household Name brands I owned before. It also allows you to schedule a daily/weekly restart of the Router itself, which helps with network stability when you need it.(IT support: Have you tried switching it off and on again. It really solves allot of IT problems)

Don't know what they do to get such a strong signal, but it works.

Thanks will try if the one I have on hand doesn't work

ADSL/Fibre login details should be easy to get from your service provider. Usually a login to your customer profile or a quick call to the support centre should give you the details you need to populate.

The Wifi SSID and PW can be anything, but easier for all your existing WiFi products to use the same ones as before. Otherwise all of them need to be reconfigured, which isn't difficult, just laborious. Especially for the IoT types of devices.

yes you should be able to - just check the IP of the router (might be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and hope the admin login has not changed from the default. Just google (your router name) default login.

The cheap TP Link product is fine if you are looking to buy. I have box full of used ones if anyone needs one, I can pass on for cheap cheap...

yes you should be able to - just check the IP of the router (might be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and hope the admin login has not changed from the default. Just google (your router name) default login.

The cheap TP Link product is fine if you are looking to buy. I have box full of used ones if anyone needs one, I can pass on for cheap cheap...

Thanks, appreciate it.

May I ask what the Symptoms are?

1) yes you can.

2) you have your login info from your ISP.. then Easy .