100mm travel to 120mm shock.

justinlo

Hi all.

I am looking at replacing my 100mm shock to a 120mm. The current bike is spec for a 100mm shock.

I do believe that the head angle will change which will intern affect the handling in climbing and descents.

Can it cause frame or shock failure? With the extra 20mm stantion length.

Does anyone have some info on the topic?

Regards Justin.

Shock (rear) or fork (front)....

Fork should not be a problem. I'm running a 150mm fork on my 125mm travel Trance. Will slacken the head angle slightly which is usually a positive. At 20mm the added force should not result in enough strain to cause frame failure.

100mm fork to 120mm is not a problem. Your head and seat angle is going to slacken 1 deg, maybe 1,5 deg. And the BB is going to raise. Nothing is going to change so much that your bike will be unridable. Its possibly going to be better.

The shock is on the front yes.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.

As for frame warranty noted let's hope for the best.

Regards.

At the moment it's a Rockshox Tk30 gold 100mm going to Rockshox Revelation with 120mm travel.

The frame is a Bergamont Revox7

Edited by justinlo

What issues do you for see?

Since Bikehub is taking the piss and you're unfortunately not catching on to it, I'll explain it with a picture

RNXXhFE.jpg

Although both are technically shock absorbers, the front suspension is referred to as a "fork", because, well, it kindof looks like a fork. Not sure you could still call a Lefty a fork, chopstick, perhaps?

What issues do you for see?

What bertus said.... I'm just pulling your leg. Rear suspension = shock; front suspension = fork.

To answer your question though, increased travel on the fork will decrease your head angle and seat tube angle. This will mean that descending will be more confidence inspiring, but your climbing will be adversely effected.

Most frame manufacturers keep warranty in tact for up to 20mm increase in travel for the fork, so you should be okay.

One thing I would suggest is once you have made the change, remove a few spacers from under your stem to drop the handlebar a bit.

Well since Bergamont has no local supplier, there is hope warranty support. So that is one less worry..

The 120mm Revelation will help fine, and will be a chalk/cheese improvement over your current fork. Definitely worth it.