The bloke in the white BMW

MudLark

This is why I love the hub

Post #2 (creative paraphrasing) "Guys, best to leave race out of this one and not derail this thread"

Post #3 "Why?"

4 days and 50 posts later - still discussing race issues  ^_^

My biggest issue with race is those tw%ts who give their timing chips to faster friends to improve their seeding and then can't keep up causing splits in the bunch

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m a shade of black myself, and while not offended by the description of the driver, I find that in many instances the colour of the offender/victim has no direct bearing on the incident/event.

A cyclist was taken out on ‘Said str’ - cycling forum - relevant ‘cyclist’ - colour descriptor not relevant to the basic fact.

A classmate of my kid was ill today - the colour descriptor has no bearing on the fact that a kid was ill.

More often then not, when retelling a story, we feel the need to add a colour descriptor which, more often than not, has no bearing on the story. Whether racist/a poor habit, it’s not something my wife and I practice, nor would like our kids to learn.

I have neighbors and they vary different shades of white/pink/brown/black, but they’re all pretty much neighbors, who we address by name, not colour.

I cycle with other cyclists, not a colour group.

I have some amazing friends - not black/white/brown/yellow friends - just friends.

No need to be pc, just leave out unnecessary descriptors - it’s liberating

A fair comment. Someone should tell the gov't and the politicians this too....

I would refer to “a driver in a white BMW” and not mention the colour of skin... as Grease Monkey has said, small things can turn into something bigger - better just to mention “a driver”.

Just better to mention a shitty driver and post his pic. The picture will allow others to see all the details without having to speculate everything else

• 3 weeks later...

if someone drives like a box, colour is totally irrelevant. whether the box is pink or purple, it is still a box and should be treated as such.

Its interesting. I mentioned both the colour of the person and the car. Nobody objected to my mentioning the colour of the car. Yet they are both simple, objective, verifiable facts. This is why I say, the world is as you see it. The fact that someone has a concern with one but not the other says a great deal about how they perceive the world. I'll leave it there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Its interesting. I mentioned both the colour of the person and the car. Nobody objected to my mentioning the colour of the car. Yet they are both simple, objective, verifiable facts. This is why I say, the world is as you see it. The fact that someone has a concern with one but not the other says a great deal about how they perceive the world. I'll leave it there.

It might interesting, but it shouldn’t be surprising.

There is currently massive racial tension in South Africa. Mentioning race is going to illicit a response, objective or not.

Interesting point although ime surprised there is not one comment about it being a BMW.

[emoji1]

My biggest issue with race is those tw%ts who give their timing chips to faster friends to improve their seeding and then can't keep up causing splits in the bunch

People do this kind of thing ?? wow how low can one go