• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on your level of fitness

I did this last year on my

Scott Spark 29er 1 x 10, 32 front Chainring 11-42 on knobblies pumped to 3 bar

Did a 3:53 ,28 ave

It's tough on the fast sections of the route M3, down Smits, down suik.

Went too hard in the first half of the race trying to stay with the bunches, blew a gasket and crawled up suik 7km p/h

A couple of years ago I finished with 3-15, there were 2 mtbs making a helluva noise with their knobblies. I dropped them at misty cliffs. Then on the finish straight they just flew past me.

Obviously they strong ones but I see many mtb on knobblies handing out pain in road races, those on 1x must be spinning at 200rpm.

Go for it!

Someone offered me an entry, but I'm not sure if I'm in the mood to do it on my 160mm travel enduro. I can mange 28 km/h ave with heavy aggressive rubber on the tarmac.

I've got 2 lighter spare tyres, maxxis ardent race and a spez ground control s-works casing that I can fit, but then I'd need a 34T chainring as well. Seems like a lot of effort.

I posed this question to a bike shop owner who said putting on slicks won't help much. 

Depends on how you define "help much" - In my experience its about a 2km/h - to 3km/h difference in speed which is about 10 to 15 minutes time difference for an Argus.

Great if you are aiming for say a Sub-4 or Sub-3h30 and want to take any advantage you can get. Not worth the effort if you just want to finish or are just doing a social ride with your mates

Depends on your level of fitness

I did this last year on my

Scott Spark 29er 1 x 10, 32 front Chainring 11-42 on knobblies pumped to 3 bar

Did a 3:53 ,28 ave

It's tough on the fast sections of the route M3, down Smits, down suik.

Went too hard in the first half of the race trying to stay with the bunches, blew a gasket and crawled up suik 7km p/h

I ride in Langebaan, not much climbing. 

I average 21 kph over 40km offroad with elevation gain of 380m

well at least now you know which bike shop to avoid.

So you would have preferred him to sell you some expensive slicks that may or may not make a difference?? 

Edited by Dadbod Racing