[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour MTB Challenge 2019

JohanDiv

Thank heavens I opted to take my motorbike for a spin to collect the number stickers. Traffic from Strand through Stellies was a nightmare.

Felt so awesome to filter through that parking lot on the road.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok THAT was sooooooo much fun.

Parking - the best ever experience at a mtb race of this size (ok not talking about the thorns)

Route markings - very clear

Finish area - enough shade (if it was needed) enough food and drinks

Route - very enjoyable and glad to see that it is recovering well but did still make me sad seeing the burnt stumps

Marshalls - all friendly

Edited by LeoKnight

Agree, proper fun! Last hour or so became a bit of a mudbath, that added to the fun! 3h15min. Weather help a hell of a lot for me to smash the sub4 I was aiming for.. Still sat behind slow guys on the singletracks though...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What a lekker ride. Slick organisation. Great route with challenges but not ridiculous ones. Fantastic weather!!!

Agree the mix for me was really well selected, yeah now and then got stuck behind a alower rider but that is par of the course as not all rider pace themselves through the full route. Lucky for me where I did ask to pass they always moved out of the way.

Also smashed sub 4 which was my goal ... irrespective of the bit shorter route

I was loafing a bit today. Only did the 20. Used my son's HT for the LOLs.

1h10 starting from the C batch. You know their seeding sucks when I came 60th in the race, and my group position was 29th. Lots of C batch riders in the top 50.

Did the 20km ride with my 8 year old son. Well organised event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw lots of dads with their youngsters.

Rode in on the bike from Welgevonden and when I got there I knew I made a mistake.

You see drunk me thought I should try the old 26er Kona, which hung over me was less pleased with today.

Apart from taking the wrong bike this was absolutely awesome.

post-38519-1551550825926.jpegpost-38519-15515508449521.jpegpost-38519-15515508597158.jpegpost-38519-15515509114168.jpeg

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Rode in on the bike from Welgevonden and when I got there I knew I made a mistake.

You see drunk me thought I should try the old 26er Kona, which hung over me was less pleased with today.

Apart from taking the wrong bike this was absolutely awesome.

attachicon.gifIMG_20190302_085001.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20190302_090112.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20190302_075820.jpegattachicon.gifIMG_20190302_111530.jpeg

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

I remember overtaking that Kona just past the 33km waterpoint. My thoughts at that moment was "Bliksem, hoe het die ou even tot hier getrap!"

"Met baie moeite" - that's how. :whistling:

But in retrospect it was a character building experience, pity I could not use it's nimbleness on the single track because by the time I reached them I had been over taken by other riders that were faster on the jeep track but much slower in the ST.

Rode my 29er Sola 1 to work today... much easier bike to ride. 

1st time at this event,  did it on my  Momsen steel rigid MTB.  Had a really good ride, the 40km route that is.  thanks to all for making the event possible, and facilities were well organised too.

I enjoyed my own race on the 60km, but was curious are there any way that they check that 60km riders do not take the short cuts via the 40km route?  

Or is it all based on your own moral compass?