What is the Toyota Fortuner of Road Cycling to do a sub-3hr CTCT?

Raleigh76

With a budget of R30 000 and 'hopefully' a good seeding for CTCT, any recommendations of what road bike I should buy?

New or Used? Been riding a Raleigh RC-1800 for past 8yrs. Bike Fit assessment says frame size 56/58.

Is there like a Toyota Fortuner of road cycling that everyone buys … reliable, plenty of spare parts and very sharp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not just brands but specific type of bikes I should look out for.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortuner comments aside, you're looking for any road bike that fits the following:

Space in fork and chainstays for 25c tyres

Frame material of your choice

At least ten speed, but 11 will be easy in that price bracket.

Whatever looks the best and fits you well.

Avoid bikes that have:

Wierd and exclusive stems and bars, or even aero seatposts

Anything else proprietary that will be a bitch to find when you may need to replace in 5 years

Local support that's highly rated and keeps stock of parts.

Road bikes, like Toyota, don't go wrong all that often... At least, not of their own accord. Running over the odd cateye or sitting on the top tube might cause some breaking, but to be honest, as long as they have a normal round Seatpost, and a normal stem setup, and they're made from something other than the thinnest carbon ever, it'll ride.

As for your sub three goal? Only way to be sure that a bike will help is if it has a motor... And the cycle tour just banned those, so it's your legs, and not the bike, that will determine the time...

With a budget of R30 000 and 'hopefully' a good seeding for CTCT, any recommendations of what road bike I should buy?

New or Used? Been riding a Raleigh RC-1800 for past 8yrs. Bike Fit assessment says frame size 56/58.

Is there like a Toyota Fortuner of road cycling that everyone buys … reliable, plenty of spare parts and very sharp. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not just brands but specific type of bikes I should look out for.

Giant = Fortuner

Cannondale = Land Cruiser VX

Edited by 26er

Ahh great stuff! These comments are really helpful!! Thank you 

Will definitely check out the Giant TCR

Any others worth taking a look at?

Liked Joss Turner's comments … definitely functionality over bling

8yrs is a long time, you must really enjoy your Raleigh...you can find something around R20k to get you within sub3 range - like someone said above, it's more you than the tool????

But how I interpret the OP, sounds like a once off attempt then you better off hiring a bike for that day.

Oh, and pray for excellent conditions on the day ????

Best of luck and safe riding!

I'd also recommend the Giant TCR Disc, beautiful all-round 'affordable' new bike ;).

You can probably also checkout the Merida's with similar specs - equivalent to FORD imho.

Other upgrades that might make a few seconds/minute difference would be wheel-set, new tires - GP5000s shaved off some time for me personally v.s Gatorskins. The weather will probably matter more than these at the end of the day though!

Then of course the most obvious upgrades ... diet, intervals, hill repeats ... 5 weeks to go ;).

He wants a Toyota fortuner, I’m surprised no one had mentioned a gravel bike.

But a fortuner to do those times would require a Lexus V8 engine swap with asthma pump/turbo.