Squeaky Full Suspension

Jacoswart695

Good day Hubbers,

I need the help of mechanics and full suspension riders here. I recently bought a full suspension mountain bike. To all the hard tail fans, if you want to tell me this was the first mistake - I have problems with my lower back and had no choice.

The bike has been in for a full service of pivots and bearings 2 weeks ago. I had 2 rides from the time I got it back. The first was on tar and the second yesterday was on gravel ride. Even before I reached the gravel the suspension started squeaking. When I lock the suspension the squeak is gone.

Any advice on how to fix this as it can't be the grease or dry bearings, and also not any dirt because the first ride was on tar? Also it can't be wear and tear as the bike has less than 100km's on the clock. Is there a quick fix or should I take it back to the LBS?

Thank you.

Kind regards.

Jaco

As a start, loosen and retorque all your pivot bolts. Suspension related squeaks, clicks, etc., can often be traced back to over torquing these bolts.

Sounds like a solution. Thank you.

If you took the bike in for a full service, inc. bearings/pivots then take it back to the LBS to resolve.

Once you fiddle with it you will have no recourse with them.

I won't touch it self. Was hoping for a quick fix. Will do thanks for the comment.

What bike?

Also sure its the pivots and not the saddle or seat post?

Silverback Sido 1. Quite sure it is the rear suspension. As the saddle and seat post would have made a squeak noise when the Suspension was locked as well.

Silverback Sido 1. Quite sure it is the rear suspension. As the saddle and seat post would have made a squeak noise when the Suspension was locked as well.

Aaaah, it's because the shock is upside down on those bikes. You have to turn it around to get rid of the squeak.

Sounds like a solution. Thank you.

The problem only persists while the suspension is locked out. So I don't think the crank would be the problem..

I won't touch it self. Was hoping for a quick fix. Will do thanks for the comment.

Hello Jaco,

This is a contemporary website - it has a fancy button for doing multiple quotes, right next to the reply button.

post-51185-0-03203200-1528441319.jpg

Also, if it was in for a full service and you have squeaking 2 weeks later, take it back to the shop.

Had the same problem. The arrow points to the culprit. Removed the bolt, it was dusty, cleaned it and applied tin film of grease.

post-8935-0-85725600-1549045114_thumb.jpg

Are you sure the shock has been recently serviced? I had a squeaky fork on a used dual sus I bought, and turned out the foam rings were dryer than the Sahara... Was squeaking on every hit...

Fortunately no stanchion damage, but it was a problem.