To the humourless road cyclist on Spaanschemat river road this morning

BJH

I really don't know what your problem was.  But to throw the F-bomb at me by telling me that I should either 'go ahead of you or F-off' when I 'dared' to keep on your wheel for a brief period of time on Spaanschemat river road is not cool.

I'ts not like I was endangering you physically (although it's arguable I may have damaged your ego by keeping up with you...)

Perhaps you feel it's not cool for a mountain biker to latch onto your wheel while you're on the road.  Perhaps you even feel that mountain bikers don't belong on the road.  To be honest I'm a road biker as well as a mountain biker so perhaps it's only you and I shouldn't be judging road bikers based on your ridiculous behaviour.

Just relax - we all share the road.  And just remember the only words I said to you in response - 'LIGHTEN UP'

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a cyclist roll up to my rear tyre this morning without kisses, hugs or a greeting.

I then dropped him by steadily winding up the intensity as I wanted to be alone.

It is rude to enter someone's bubble and not say howzit.

Greeting is important especially entering someone's personal space (albeit on a public road).

You were clearly not welcome.

And if you weren't so serious yourself, you could've said howzit.

Who knows, maybe he hard a hard time this week at work.

I know I did.

Had a guy latch onto me from Muizenburg to Bergvliet this morning on my leg loosener ride for tomorrow's race. I got to a red traffic light and I stopped (yes, I'm roadie that does that kind of thing). He struggled to un-cleat and toppled over, we both had a laugh - I checked he was ok and waited for him to get him back up and draft until Wynberg where we split. He was kind enough to say thanks.

I don't get the frustration - it's actually proven that having someone slipstream behind you REDUCES your drag slightly due to the lower turbulence.

It must suck to be that angry at people for no reason .... 

While behaviour isnt good always remember that if you do latch onto someones wheel on a ride, greet and also be prepared to do a pull or 3 on route to help. By just sitting wheel isnt good.

Im not saying you did this at all, just basic wheel latching etiquette

This^^

PS Oh and it’s never personal

Roadie culture is embedded with eccentric behaviours, poker face expressions at intersections, a love-hate relationship with the wind, an important emphasis on the little details like sock length, aerodynamics and strength of coffee, as well as drafting etiquette as mentioned by @JWakefield

MTB culture is markedly different with ‘chilled vibes’ a high value marker.

It was a clash of two worlds. ????????

Glad no punches were thrown.

Have to admit I have no sympathy for the OP... If you want to ride with a friend then find one to ride with. If I go for a ride on my own then I want to be on my own - I find it exceptionally irritating when some random hangs on my wheel and won't go away. He also doesn't know how you ride and it makes the ride that much more stressful as he has to take you into account in every move he makes whether braking or swerving around a bump in the road.

Nobody likes a wheelsucker and its good form to say hi and make your intentions clear .....

if you sick back there and suck in silence you will get a negative response thats just how it is ..... :ph34r:

OP, for clarification, how brief was your wheelsucking moment? 

About 1 minute.

Just instinctively latched onto him to get a faster ride to The Nest coffee shop.  In hindsight I approached it the wrong way (didn't greet) and the aggro wasn't worth it

Some valuable insight from the other responses so far...

Edited by BJH

Wonder what’s the point of this thread

Or do I just need a coffee to spark them brain cells