To the humourless road cyclist on Spaanschemat river road this morning

BJH

Jeez, I'm actually kind of stunned by some of the comments here re hating people that suck wheel. I've always been slightly chuffed if someone decides to draft me and I actually try to keep an even pace so that they can hang on for as long as they're able. I thought it was a kind of unspoken favour to others and wasn't even aware there was some sort of greeting/turn taking decorum. 

One of the nicest things about cycling (to me, in any case) is that there's a camaraderie amongst cyclists. I've lost count of the amount of times another cyclist has offered to help when I'm next to the road fixing a flat. I've donated dozens of tubes and bombs to others in return. 90% of the time when I pass someone they'll nod their head or even sometimes give a wave.

Maybe it's just me but drafting is such a natural, friendly way of cycling that I can't imagine feeling irritated by someone sitting on my wheel or vice versa. On the other hand, it seems there might be a market for small signs on the back of your saddle saying "No wheel sucking".

Ditto, I'm with you on this one ... maybe that's why I'll never be a pro  :whistling:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s road cycling etiquette

Not about morality

Or even personal preferences and idiosyncrasies

Unwritten customs and traditions does matter.

Here’s the strictest form as from the Velominatus:

Rule #19 // Introduce Yourself.

If you deem it appropriate to join a group of riders who are not part of an open group ride and who are not your mates, it is customary and courteous to announce your presence. Introduce yourself and ask if you may join the group. If you have been passed by a group, wait for an invitation, introduce yourself, or let them go. The silent joiner is viewed as ill-mannered and Anti-V. Conversely, the joiner who can’t shut their cakehole is no better and should be dropped from the group at first opportunity.

About 1 minute.

Just instinctively latched onto him to get a faster ride to The Nest coffee shop.  In hindsight I approached it the wrong way (didn't greet) and the aggro wasn't worth it

Some valuable insight from the other responses so far...

1 whole minute!!!!

Wow you met Mr Grumpy today

I don’t mind if someone drafts me without saying anything.... it’s kind of a honor if they just sit there and don’t take a turn

What does get me is when they peel off or go in another direction without saying bye/ thanks... most of the time they usually say tchuss or danke

Only wheel suckers I hate are the ones commuting to work on their fixed gear makro specials, fixed gear because the gears are broken.

I’m in full cycling kit with a 100% working bike, don’t make me look bad man. [emoji3]

About 1 minute.

Just instinctively latched onto him to get a faster ride to The Nest coffee shop.  In hindsight I approached it the wrong way (didn't greet) and the aggro wasn't worth it

Some valuable insight from the other responses so far...

Reading some of the follow on posts from you, not to sure I believe it was actually 1min, Im leaning towards a little more.....

As it may be, you chased him, sped up or whatever to sit his wheel cause he didnt greet you. Do you speed up in PnP when a guy with a trolley passes you and doesn't greet and you sit his trolley slip from the Clean Green isle to the Yoghurt isle? That is also more than minute cause I've tried to sit Matt Beers Trolley there and got dropped.

I honestly prefer if okes that join a bunch stay behind and suck wheel. Many people suck at pacing and go out too hard while taking their turn, messing up the rhythm... Even worst if they don't know the strava segments and start pulling hard too early...

Don't be a ****, be lekker

It really does hurt when someone on a mountain bike keeps up with me on my road bike. 

Must be 20 years younger than me I say to myself after the first attempt to shake them loose. .....

So I am out on a "long ride", breaking all my Personal Bests .... so happy up in my own little world ...

Next steep hill I am happy that there is still some power left in my legs and I am sort of managing a decent pace up the hill ....

And then, "Hello oom", as this 20-something blond bombshell breezes past me ....

Not sure what part of being called oom or being dropped hurt my ego the most ...

I'm with porqui on this one. Unless your name is Sagan, Macaskill or Minnaar lighten up on the road or trails. There will always be someone faster or stronger so deal with it. But I suppose for some training for LeTour or Epic or Iron Man is serious stuff caus of that elusive podium

IF you are training for a podium finish you have some serious problems if a wannabee on a MTB keeps up with you ....

I must admit that the response on the road was a bit over cooked, but must add that posts like these make me feel that the poster is looking for validation, when their behavior was not necessarily kosher.

Like some folk find it alright to stand under your armpits in the ‘bank queue’, or to insist on a conversation(in the same bank queue)which assumes that you share the same political ideology.

Personal space.....

People cycling, whether mtb/road does not equal an homogeneous group.

Unannounced, whether on road/mtb, I think that you disregarded another’s personal space......

Reading some of the follow on posts from you, not to sure I believe it was actually 1min, Im leaning towards a little more.....

As it may be, you chased him, sped up or whatever to sit his wheel cause he didnt greet you. Do you speed up in PnP when a guy with a trolley passes you and doesn't greet and you sit his trolley slip from the Clean Green isle to the Yoghurt isle? That is also more than minute cause I've tried to sit Matt Beers Trolley there and got dropped.

It was a minute

But the facts of the original post almost don't seem do matter anymore

Let's say I made an error in not greeting the guy or not announcing my presence.  It doesn't justify his over the top response (at least in my humble opinion)

I've been fascinated by the responses - both in support of me and also in support of his reaction (not behaviour as far as I could see).

I think you're also not considering the potential risks associated with an unannounced wheel suck...

Seriously. If I'm out on a solo ride, and someone catches up to me, without announcing their presence or a hello, I'm left wondering when and where will you overtake? Because, if you've caught me, due to traffic lights or otherwise, then surely you'll be overtaking soon and every opportunity means I lose my freedom to ride... I now have to anticipate your moves.

Secondly, im now responsible to call out obstacles and hazards, having no clue as to your ability to understand my signals.

I also now lose rear visibility on the quick look behind to change lanes or check for cars, and as you've joined silently, I'm assuming you'll not have the decency to anticipate moments when that knowledge is vital and call it out.

I now also have to focus on how smooth I ride and avoid any sudden movements, as I don't know you or your skill level, and would not like to be run into from behind...

Cycling in tandem and groups takes a level of trust and comfort in others abilities. It's why everyone hates being in the alphabet soup or riding through the tail end of large races... People without skill or experience are unpredictable and you have to now cycle for you and for them.

The analogy of someone tailgating you on the road was spot on.. Most times I'm riding alone its for a particular reason, be it a rough week at work or a goal in trying to achieve without interference.

It's no problem if you're faster than me. It's no problem if you want to wheelsuck and actually do your job at the back. It's cool if you offer to take a pull, and allow me the freedom to decline. But don't swoop in there like a dodgy Dave and silently shadow me down the road...

Heh, makes me think of this time when Reinardt Janse van Rensburg came past me and I promptly latched onto his rear wheel (after a brief hello and wow DiData fangirl moment), and he then promptly put me into the hurt locker for the next 25KM's, all while he was on an easy Sunday cruise.

Open Letters and Dear Diaries!

Adrian Mole, is that you?  :ph34r:

How many threads have there been about not greeting? Now the OP has the audacity to wheel suck, not greet AND complain about the outcome?

Like sands through the hourglass........

Edited by Jewbacca

It was a minute

But the facts of the original post almost don't seem do matter anymore

Let's say I made an error in not greeting the guy or not announcing my presence.  It doesn't justify his over the top response (at least in my humble opinion)

I've been fascinated by the responses - both in support of me and also in support of his reaction (not behaviour as far as I could see).

Quite right, telling a fellow cyclist to FO just because they did not greet or ask permission to draft is simply tjop behavior and uncalled for.

Alpha male problems, I bet if you were female the reaction would have been different.

You’re not female are you.....