To the humourless road cyclist on Spaanschemat river road this morning

BJH

It was a minute

But the facts of the original post almost don't seem do matter anymore

Let's say I made an error in not greeting the guy or not announcing my presence.  It doesn't justify his over the top response (at least in my humble opinion)

I've been fascinated by the responses - both in support of me and also in support of his reaction (not behaviour as far as I could see).

I dont think there was support in his action in terms of language and so forth, to me that alittle over the top, it was more in support of him not being happy you sped up, latched his wheel with no hello, no pull and just sitting. 

Both parties here were wrong - age old saying "2 wrongs dont make a right" but I am sure if he was on a MTB also his reaction would of been the same. Its not about the bike he rode, Ive seen some really rude MTB'rs - its about the situation that happening. 

Lesson learnt and things Im sure will be better going forward. 

Keep riding and enjoy it, its life. move on.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree- say hello and do a turn on the front almost immediately to show that you're willing to put in some effort, even if its for a few minutes. Doing a turn (for me) is almost better than greeting - I wouldnt have an issue in that case.

PS Oh and it’s never personal

Roadie culture is embedded with eccentric behaviours, poker face expressions at intersections, a love-hate relationship with the wind, an important emphasis on the little details like sock length, aerodynamics and strength of coffee, as well as drafting etiquette as mentioned by @JWakefield

MTB culture is markedly different with ‘chilled vibes’ a high value marker.

It was a clash of two worlds.

Glad no punches were thrown.

I've been pondering on whether I should sell my mtb as I'm more of a roadie. Your post made up my mind for me. Thank you. I'm selling.

It’s road cycling etiquette

Not about morality

Or even personal preferences and idiosyncrasies

Unwritten customs and traditions does matter.

Here’s the strictest form as from the Velominatus:

Rule #19 // Introduce Yourself.

If you deem it appropriate to join a group of riders who are not part of an open group ride and who are not your mates, it is customary and courteous to announce your presence. Introduce yourself and ask if you may join the group. If you have been passed by a group, wait for an invitation, introduce yourself, or let them go. The silent joiner is viewed as ill-mannered and Anti-V. Conversely, the joiner who can’t shut their cakehole is no better and should be dropped from the group at first opportunity.

In this regard it might be worth noting that rule #2 is "lead by example" and rule #3 is "guide the uninitiated". Not sure how telling someone to FO for unwittingly breaking a lesser rule serves the code.

There are many other options between just allowing an unwanted wheel suck, and FO. Perhaps something along the lines of "please don't do that" would have sufficed.

In this regard it might be worth noting that rule #2 is "lead by example" and rule #3 is "guide the uninitiated". Not sure how telling someone to FO for unwittingly breaking a lesser rule serves the code.

There are many other options between just allowing an unwanted wheel suck, and FO. Perhaps something along the lines of "please don't do that" would have sufficed.

Hehehe.

Maybe the MTB wheel sucker in BJH was on a Lefty.

And the irate roadie said "Fork Off"

so much of knob around here.  entitlement, ego's...

maybe zwift is the only solution and the future of our sport, or  wait, is it uncool to draft a stranger on zwift also?  :ph34r:

Edited by rudi-h

Is it also ok to mention that the Velominati rules were written ironically?

The only thing more irritating than a uninvited wheelsucker is a oke riding in A bunch with >2 timing chips....Those okes need a PK.

Uninvited wheelsuckers, please just stay dropped  or I will fart at you

The only thing more irritating than a uninvited wheelsucker is a oke riding in A bunch with >2 timing chips....Those okes need a PK.

Uninvited wheelsuckers, please just stay dropped or I will fart at you

Why would someone ride with 2 chips?

maybe zwift is the only solution and the future of our sport, or  wait, is it uncool to draft a stranger on zwift also?  :ph34r:

Wait!!! You can draft in Zwift?

MIND BLOWN!