To the humourless road cyclist on Spaanschemat river road this morning

BJH

I'd actually prefer it if a quick hello and then he/she stays there without saying another word.

I ride on my own for a reason, I want to be lost in my own thoughts/clear my head, dont really want to be making conversation (although I've had some cool conversations with guys I had been passing that decided to speed up and ride with me).

i dont mind if you just sit there after the greeting. It does mess with my rhythm knowing you're there, but its no biggy.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my morning routine of catching up on the weekend news and other happenings before digging into work, I read that the fourth Driehoek-kid has passed away.

Another destroyed parent, a family in pieces...a school changed forever. 

Switch browser tabs and the prevailing commotion in Hubland is a roadie swearing at a baggy for wheel sucking.

We live in a strange world.

Edited by Karooryder

In my morning routine of catching up on the weekend news and other happenings before digging into work, I read that the fourth Driehoek-kid has passed away.

Another destroyed parent, a family in pieces...a school changed forever. 

Switch browser tabs and the prevailing commotion in Hubland is a roadie swearing at a baggy for wheel sucking.

We live in a strange world.

Although I suspect there a lot more to the story than the OP is letting on.

I am wondering if the OP is the notorious Spaanschemat Wheelsucker (lets call him SW), a famous dude on a Giant who latches onto anyone who passes him, then proceeds to pant and sweat profusely. When waving him through for his turn he will always refuse.

Come on OP, tell us, are you that guy?

I am wondering if the OP is the notorious Spaanschemat Wheelsucker (lets call him SW), a famous dude on a Giant who latches onto anyone who passes him, then proceeds to pant and sweat profusely. When waving him through for his turn he will always refuse.

...a strange, strange world.

Don`t like unannounced or unfriendly wheel suckers, never have. Too many times battling against a light 60km SE along Spaanschemat River Rd, I`ve had the pleasure of a wheelsucker sitting there, saving 30%, until I hear the click of gears just before the nasty Embassy hill segment, and, whoosh, gone is he, without so much as a thank you.... aaaargh I hate it!!

So, wheelsuckers,  announce your presence, take a few turns in front, then dash off if you must, with a friendly goodbye.

….and if you`re slipstreaming a tandem on the downhills and flats, say thanks when you whizz past me on the first climb, or better still, put your hand on the stokers back and push a little, you will see the benefit on the next downhill!

ggoodmluck with that. I am sure you have seen the golf rule book!

and the unwritten rules that go with it too.

no thanks, I'd rather cycle

When taking up Golf one has to learn a whole new language .

However, there's no need for N+1 as the 13 bats you're limited too will cover everything from driving to puttering around in a e-cart

Can't be bovvered about a wheel sucker.

My morning face will tell you whether I'm up for a chat or not.

If you're not going to greet and not going to take the front then the child in me will drop you at any given point. 

I've had wheelsuckers who I've taken pity on and helped get closer to home. 

Moral of the story, Be lekker... :-) 

Can't be bovvered about a wheel sucker.

My morning face will tell you whether I'm up for a chat or not.

If you're not going to greet and not going to take the front then the child in me will drop you at any given point.

I've had wheelsuckers who I've taken pity on and helped get closer to home.

Moral of the story, Be lekker... :-)

That sounds fun until you realize he is a stronger rider than you and you can’t drop them.

Nope that's not me - not usually fit enough be wheelsucking.  And I didn't pass him remember?  He told me in no uncertain terms to get lost.  I didn't want to spoil his day by passing him.

That sounds fun until you realize he is a stronger rider than you and you can’t drop them.

Happened to me on the way home after a group ride.

Toppie on a MTB came up behind me as I turned into a road.

Slight drag that just goes on and on. He immediately jumped on my wheel

I gradually increased the pace..with 500m to go to the top I was hurting. He was cruising.

He quietly sat there all the way to the top.

He said thanks and was on his way.

I felt like telling him to #$@% off  :clap:

So the OP wasnt happy with a guy riding faster than him.

Picked up speed and sat on his wheel just to piss him off?

Mission accomplished.

Few people will have the balls/or other, to admit this though Edited by Patchelicious