Stans Arch Warranty Rebuild Costs

CraigCCW

I had my rear Stans Arch MK3 rim replaced under warranty, and my LBS have sent me an invoice for the rebuild of the wheel.

I personally feel that since they did the original build, they should cover the rebuild costs, or recoup those costs from Stans or the Stans supplier.

What do you guys think, should I be paying the rebuild costs, I don't think I should.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid for a rebuild after warranty claim on Stans Arch.

I think it's unfair to pay for something which was the result of a manufacturing fault (which TWT / stans are aware of), but I wasn't keen on the hassle to fight with them and wanted to get back on my bike.

I have had to pay for three builds in the last two years,

All Stans Crest warranty replacements.

I am on the Arch’s now..fingers crossed..

I feel it’s fair in my case if they only replace the rims.

Seeing that the hubs would be from a different supplier and a seperate company doing the build.

If I had bought a stans wheelset,I would expect a build from them.

It's a tricky situation but no I believe you can't hold the rims supplier liable for the wheelbuild if they warranty the rims

Only exception would be like Hope Hoops which are factory built in house where every part of the wheel comes from them

.... All through shipping your hubs to barnoldswick could be pricey

i didn't hassle too much about the rebuild costs. 

my LBS did the warranty claim even though I bought the bike from a certain Malmesbury shop with a bad PR rep.

I had my rear Stans Arch MK3 rim replaced under warranty, and my LBS have sent me an invoice for the rebuild of the wheel.

I personally feel that since they did the original build, they should cover the rebuild costs, or recoup those costs from Stans or the Stans supplier.

What do you guys think, should I be paying the rebuild costs, I don't think I should.

As long as they continue to make money, and we continue to give it. Rebuild cost also did not sit well with me. They made 800 bucks of me that day, AGAIN might I add... but they lost a paying customer

i wouldn’t be impressed tbh. The only reason you have to pay for the rebuild is as a direct result of the rims cracking. If the rims didn’t crack there would be no need to pay that cost because you wouldn’t be rebuilding.

Edited by Yo-yo

"Specialized" on two occasions, a number of years apart, replaced my frame under warranty, and on both occasions I was invoiced, for bike builds - also a bit unhappy initially, but after having sweet rides afterwards, I made peace with it all quite quickly.

Obviously a frame's value and a rim or set is nowhere near the same, but I think it is "standard" practice (I could of course be wrong) for the dealer or bike shop to charge for their labor in these cases. 

I am riding a cranked rim due to manufacturing fault, il see how long it last.

Not keen on getting this **** again.

Moving forward will use hubs and il buy proper rims.

Lesson learnt!

I am riding a cranked rim due to manufacturing fault, il see how long it last.

Not keen on getting this **** again.

Moving forward will use hubs and il buy proper rims.

Lesson learnt!

I build you! Lyne Components rims

Cwc only charged R120 for the rebuild which is more like the cost to true a wheel. I wouldn't mind paying because it's still the bike shops time and building a wheel that's quite some time.

Cwc only charged R120 for the rebuild which is more like the cost to true a wheel. I wouldn't mind paying because it's still the bike shops time and building a wheel that's quite some time.

That cost I would accept, my LBS want to charge me R720, R450 os that is labour. I would think that either the supplier being Two Wheel Trading, or Stans should cover the cost of the rebuild.

Personally I think local warranties are terrible, however, if those are the terms of the warranty you have no choice but to suck it up.

No manufacturer is obligated to offer a warranty, so unfortunately you have to accept what they offer.

If the product is less than 6months old, then it's a different story. The CPA dictates what warranty they must give.