Scalpel carbon 3 or 4...?

dracs

So I am about to give in to a year-long desire for a scalpel lefty...    I am looking for input / thoughts on whether it is really worth the +R15k to go for the Carbon 3 vs the Carbon 4. 

Specs below, but as I see it the main differences are the wheelset, XO Eagle vs GX Eagle...  and the rear shocks

What say the hub experts?

post-23367-0-23208100-1549298818_thumb.jpg

post-23367-0-20152900-1549298832_thumb.jpg

Moola aside, which one makes you drool as you look at it.

I like to be in love with my bicycle. Stare at her with 'yeeaaaahhhh baby yeahhh' while parked against the coffee shop wall. Be proud and smug when rolling. And feel that I'll still love her in 35 months time.

Moola aside, which one makes you drool as you look at it.

I like to be in love with my bicycle. Stare at her with 'yeeaaaahhhh baby yeahhh' while parked against the coffee shop wall. Be proud and smug when rolling. And feel that I'll still love her in 35 months time.

Hey man I get that - the post was an attempt to get the head to rule over the heart!

Hey man I get that - the post was an attempt to get the head to rule over the heart!

Oh... heart always rules.  :wub:

Sterkte, dracs.

No logic here. Just passion.

Both stunning machines, I purchased the 4, raced Marathons and a XCO on it this past weekend. The spec doesn't hold you back at all there's 2 upgrades that I would point out tho the 3 will have is the Rear Shock the FOX is amazing then the Carbon wheels. Good luck with your purchase remember Cannondale are running a promotion on now if you order a 3 they throw in an EVOC Bag check Cannondale.co.za 

I know 15k is a lot but the carbon wheels on its own will be more than that if you want to upgrade.

The 3 is running xo and gx mix and the 4 gx and nx.

The nx cassette weighs slightly more than the moon.

I don't think their weight is correct because on cassette alone the is more than 100g difference and those s1 run deore hub's if not mistaken so not a light set.

You would probably enjoy both but if you can get the 3 that is clearly a better bike.

The 4 you will enjoy but some day you are going to stop next to a 3 and make excuses to yourself trying to feel better for not buying the 3.????

Both stunning machines, I purchased the 4, raced Marathons and a XCO on it this past weekend. The spec doesn't hold you back at all there's 2 upgrades that I would point out tho the 3 will have is the Rear Shock the FOX is amazing then the Carbon wheels. Good luck with your purchase remember Cannondale are running a promotion on now if you order a 3 they throw in an EVOC Bag check Cannondale.co.za 

Cheers yes I saw that - but at full price vs negotiating a discount at a bike shop ....    Will throw that into the discussion though :thumbup:

I know 15k is a lot but the carbon wheels on its own will be more than that if you want to upgrade.

The 3 is running xo and gx mix and the 4 gx and nx.

The nx cassette weighs slightly more than the moon.

I don't think their weight is correct because on cassette alone the is more than 100g difference and those s1 run deore hub's if not mistaken so not a light set.

You would probably enjoy both but if you can get the 3 that is clearly a better bike.

The 4 you will enjoy but some day you are going to stop next to a 3 and make excuses to yourself trying to feel better for not buying the 3.

Ja I was also surprised at the apparently small weight difference considering carbon wheelset and the 1 step up on compenents.