Garmin fenix 5

jesica

Have a Fenix 3 and very happy with mine. Does everything and more. Run and cycle. Comment I heard about maps I think relevant is the question "Do you really need maps?" If you do most of your riding in areas known to you, maps just a distraction. I've never had maps and never once missed not having it.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just buried my Polar V800. I enjoyed the watch idea, but I'm also not sold on the new Polar Vantage. So I'm thinking of the Garmin Fenix 5.. I like to use a cadence when on the road bike, can this piece connect to a cadence sensor.? I also like to mount the watch on the handle bars, so can this piece connect to a chest strap.?

Hoping for your expert opinions :-)

Thanks in advance

T-Bag 

Fenix 5 (not 5x or plus models) has a problem with the antenna design and has some trouble connecting to sensors. Do some research about the issue before getting one. 935 doesn't have the sensor problems and is pretty much the same watch.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5-5s/155566-problems-with-ant-connectivity

Burried my V800 as well at the end of January.

Was hell bent on getting a Fenix 5 Plus. I mean I was eyeing that for a long time thinking that when my V800 goes, that is what I will get.

But I could not get over the price tag - R14k.  And, for some reason, Garmin SA does not bring in the Glass version (which is under R10k landed from overseas)

So then I started considering the Fenix 5. But I could not get over the Antenna issues I read about. R9k for a watch that might have connection issues. No Way.

So then the 935 seemed like the best option, all that the Fenix has (except music, tap to pay and maps I believe), but as I was about to buy, the 735xt came on special at Sportsmansarehouse. With my Discovery discounts and boosters I will pay R2,250 for the watch, leaving me with an easy break even sell for a Fenix 5 Plus when that is replaced by the 6 or the 945 when it comes out.

My experiece compared with the V800 so far (2 weeks)

V800 Better - Instant Pace (by a mile)

735xt Bad - Optical Heart Rate (its a joke for me) - I know success varies by person, but I had good results with an Apple Watch - so I will buy a strap

735xt Better - MUCH better smart watch - eg. you can read full message

735xt Better - Connect IQ looks promising

Difference in Experience (Subjective)

- UI: Polar Flow was easier and sleaker. Garmin Connect HAS A LOT of stuff, but design a bit off. I use Strava in any case

- Polar Flow for sync, setup and update and sport profiles (app and watch)

- Garmin Connect for sync and some updates, Garmin Express for other updates, Sport Profiles on watch only (urgh)

- Battery Life: V800 a bit longer, but 6/7/8 days, what is the difference really? Maybe full IM guys will have an issue with 735XT

- On watch UI: Different but equal

Last comment ons sensors. My WahooSC was both ANT+ and Bluethooth, so what worked on V800 works on 735xt.

Garmin opens up for far more sensors. I personally like the Varia Radar and Light control.

Edited by daniemare

• 4 months later...

Anyone know where I can purchase a circular tempered glass screen protector for the Fenix 5?

Anyone know where I can purchase a circular tempered glass screen protector for the Fenix 5?

In my experience the glass on the 5 doesn't scratch

Rather get a rubber condom for the bezel that's made from soft chocolate.

https://m.takealot.com/#!product?id=PLID52429949

You can buy 10 for the same price on the usual China sites like AliExpress