Recommendations for gravel bike tyres

tinmug

700x41(-ish), tubeless ready, with tread pattern suitable for a mix of tar, hard pack, gravel roads and the odd stony section.

Choices so far are: the Vittorias (worried that tread pattern too light on Dry, too aggressive on Mix; they are made for Euro conditions), and Farr gravel tyre (looks pretty compelling, priced well).

Any recommendations (locally available)?

Hmmm, this kind of topic normally elicits subjective responses, but here is my 2c from my own experiences:

- I've run the slick Panaracers in 42c, which were crap unless on paved roads

- I currently run the WTB resolute 42c which are incredibly grippy on all surfaces, but I'd say the sacrifice here is that the soft compound wears quickly - Needless to say I just ordered my second set

- A friend of mine is running the Maxxis Ramblers in 40c (these measure out at 42c with a vernier) and seem to be great all-round tyres that wear very well. No skin-wall option in SA.

- Did some research last week before ordering my Resolutes and the Panaracer Gravelkings still seem to rain supreme on all of the reviews and forums, I just don't quite like the look of them myself.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

I've recently put the Farr tyres on my bike which is mostly used for a mix of dirt road and tarmac and it's been good so far®. Just make sure your frame can clear them, mine just fit.

Really like the Farr tread pattern and profile, obviously the pricing is right. Unfortunately they are really heavy. 

Panaracer seem to have the gravel tyre segment locked, very good reviews and feedback. 

I've personal experience with the Schwalbe G one which works well and the Kenda Flintridge Pro which I currently have. The Kenda is well priced, tubeless, robust, relatively lightweight and has a good multi-use tread profile and pattern. 

Others to consider based on general feedback: WTB, Maxxis Rambler and Specialized (not sure of model names)

Edited by danger dassie

I have the Panaracer Gravelking tyres on my bike and they are great all round tyres. 

Definitely worth the money! I fitted them on day one with no issues, and besides having to pump them up and occasionally add some sealant, they were "fit and forget".

They are also wearing very well after several thousand kms. 

Thank you for all the feedback, testimonials and recommendations. Definitely helped to steer me in the right direction. 

But makes the choice no easier.  :w00t:

Anywhere locally (SA) where I can source the Panaracer?

I have the Panaracer Gravelking tyres on my bike and they are great all round tyres. 

Definitely worth the money! I fitted them on day one with no issues, and besides having to pump them up and occasionally add some sealant, they were "fit and forget".

This is definitely the consensus from all of the gravel forums that I have read. The skin-wall colour is on point too.

Thank you for all the feedback, testimonials and recommendations. Definitely helped to steer me in the right direction. 

But makes the choice no easier.  :w00t:

We've got. And there is local distribution through Switchback Sports, so if you're not in CT drop them a line and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

+1 on this. I'm a resolute roadie with virtually zero off-road confidence but my Gravelkings seem to stick to everything and let me happily trundle around. And they roll pretty well on tar too!

We've got. And there is local distribution through Switchback Sports, so if you're not in CT drop them a line and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

You wouldn't have 32c's, tubeless with tan sidewalls in stock by any chance?

Gravelking or Gravelking SK?

Make sure you ask for the right tire.... The Gravelking is smooth as a babies bum, the Gravelking SK is the knobbly one.

I've been running the SK version in 42c on my bike and I love them.

You wouldn't have 32c's, tubeless with tan sidewalls in stock by any chance?

I can get pretty easily... PM me if you want some. Will have to order today of you want them by the weekend though.

But makes the choice no easier. :w00t:

+1 for Panaracer gravelking.

You can get them from East City Cycles in CT. They actually bring the tyres in ????????