BMCfan

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good

Hectic! Pushed to the limit!

28deg C currently in SnorCity, so the elements aren't THAT bad.

Hope it is just a temporary issue.

Ashley 5th

- 1 1 Liezel JORDAAN 2 Female ELITE Women 1:21:00 PM 1:59:48 PM 38:48.089 - 40.2 km/h   - 2 2 Zanri ROSSOUW 6 Female ELITE Women 1:17:00 PM 1:56:48 PM 39:48.830 +01:00.741 39.2 km/h   - 3 3 Juanita VENTER 9 Female ELITE Women 1:14:00 PM 1:54:03 PM 40:03.475 +01:15.386 38.9 km/h   - 4 4 Tiffany KEEP 101 Female ELITE Women 1:07:00 PM 1:47:09 PM 40:09.214 +01:21.125 38.9 km/h   - 5 5 Ashleigh MOOLMAN PASIO 1 Female ELITE Women 1:22:00 PM 2:03:14 PM 41:14.659 +02:26.570 37.8 km/h

Not good

I wonder if she had bike issues on course as that is not a TT bike. I don't know what she started on. Hope she is hundreds for the RR.

Where do you guys suggest will be the best place to view racing from on Saturday and Sunday

In front of the Union buildings.  you can easily move from there to top of Tom Jenkins for the last laps as well.

Whatever happened to Tiaan? Where in the world is he?

Apparently he lost motivation in cycling competitively and just gave up. He was close with the finish line guys and that was the story coming from them when he stopped riding. But that was a while ago, he must be pushing 40 now.

In front of the Union buildings.  you can easily move from there to top of Tom Jenkins for the last laps as well.

Yeah I would say the climb up to UB (quite steep), then at the UB, and then sprint to Tom Jenkins for the last lap. Although I think that stretch down towards Soutpans could be exciting to watch as they will be flying down there, and then Soutpans itself as well.

Did you guys know its happening this week?

No discussion, no speculation, nada?

It depends on who you know, or where to look. Gauteng North are the region organising the event, and I know where to find information as I’ve worked with them when my club organised the Helivac Crit series.

This is a national championchip, and should be advertised on the CyclingSA website. I’m sure it’s there, but as I have no time for CSA, I don’t bother going to their website. But all info is available on the GNC Facebook page.

The lack of publicity just defies logic. Gauteng champs was the same. The only way I could find the info was asking on The Hub - and I was my groups defending champion. (Alas not any more).

I must say that since introducing electronic timing these events have improved. Racing is always hard but the numbers - especially in the older groups - is disappointing.

As per the reply above, the information from GNC has been adequate, but the wide-spread coverage has been lacking.

Should CSA take any responsibility for this...?

Yes, it’s the national champs, and they should be taking full responsibility for the event. Instead, they leave it to the region to do all their work.

My opinion? No they should not.

Nationals should be about the National champ. Not about a 50 or 60 year old trying to show he is the fastest on a specific day.

Nationals.....like in the rest of the world.....should be reserved for the Elites. The professionals that does it for a living.

But that's just me

Other sports have an amateur national champs, while the Pros have their own. It was sit out a number of years ago, but logistically it is better to have both pros and amateurs on the same weekend and share the logistical setup. Fencing, timing, toilet hire, radios, permits, road closure, marshals, signage, traffic officials, safety plans, etc., etc., aren’t cheap.

But I agree, a minimum number of entries are required before a category can be considered eligible to compete.

Will we be able to park at the Union buildings? I mean safely or do you recommend somewhere else to park? 

I remember being on the side of the road when Tiaan Kannemeyer won many years ago. 

Apparently he lost motivation in cycling competitively and just gave up. He was close with the finish line guys and that was the story coming from them when he stopped riding. But that was a while ago, he must be pushing 40 now.

He broke his femur as well if I recall... that's a bad injury for cyclists, they seldom seem to ever get back to where they were. 

Will we be able to park at the Union buildings? I mean safely or do you recommend somewhere else to park? 

I remember being on the side of the road when Tiaan Kannemeyer won many years ago. 

I don't think you will be allowed to drive up there with your car.  Best way is to cycle to the Union buildings from the Vermeulen street side.  Maybe park at a nearby shopping centre and ride further with your bicycle. Or park at the start finish venue in Soutpansberg weg and ride to the the Union buildings with your bike.