Trail Side Repairs at the Cape Epic

PP1549

Hi all,

Thought I'd poll the audience here, as you all have been so helpful re: advice to my partner and I so far.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum is absolutely fantastic!

My partner and I are currently prepping our toolkits to try to ensure we'll have everything we need for possible trail side repairs during the race (while we're actually out on the course).

Our understanding (and correct us if we're wrong) is that once on course, no assistance for mechanicals can be offered.

The most common/likely scenarios that we're preparing for include:

1) Tire Puncture - Patch/Plug 

2) Derailleur Hanger Install 

3) Derailleur Adjustment 

4) Disc Brake Adjustment  

5) Pad Replacement 

6) Fix Broken Chain - missing link Install 

7) Valve Core Change & Tubeless Juice Fill Up

Anything else we may have missed or that people would recommend we think about?

Many, many thanks in advance.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'd add is a gear cable, pre-cut to length.

Strap a tube to your frame, and leave the sealant.

Edited by PhilipV

Agreed, you need a tube between you. I also take lots of CO2 bombs, its funny how you fly through them when you have a problem. Also a small pump (like 100 gram pump) and a spoke spanner.

Duct table and big cable ties, can fix most things. Also a very small pliers, you can get them for less than R50 at a crazy store.

On very short rides I rely on people like PhilipV to supply spares because I'm just that type of guy.

On med length rides I take a small bag strapped to my bike, it has the following in it:

- Spare tube

- 2x tyre levers

- Tubeless repair kit

- 2x co2 canister

- co2 tool

- Multi-tool with a chain tool and spoke spanner

- Masterlink

- R100 note for emergencies

- Medical aid details with emergency contact details

On long days where I carry a hydration pack it has all of the above plus:

- Small hand pump

- 1x Spare brake pads (overkill, but I bought a backup set and I have them in the garage so might as well put them in the pack)

- Cleat screws

- Cable ties

- Deraillieur hanger

- Tyre boot

I have not yet been in a situation where I was caught wanting. As PhilpV mentioned, leave the sealant, that is a mess waiting to happe. Just make sure it is regularly topped up, and the day you do run out - well that is what spare tubes are for.

Learn to use a chain tool, plug a puncture in a tubeless tyre, put in a spare tube, and replace a deraillieur hanger, cable, as well as brake pads. All very simple to do once you have done it once.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

On very short rides I rely on people like PhilipV to supply spares because I'm just that type of guy.

On med length rides I take a small bag strapped to my bike, it has the following in it:

- Spare tube

- 2x tyre levers

- Tubeless repair kit

- 2x co2 canister

- co2 tool

- Multi-tool with a chain tool and spoke spanner

- Masterlink

- R100 note for emergencies

- Medical aid details with emergency contact details

On long days where I carry a hydration pack it has all of the above plus:

- Small hand pump

- 1x Spare brake pads (overkill, but I bought a backup set and I have them in the garage so might as well put them in the pack)

- Cleat screws

- Cable ties

- Deraillieur hanger

- Tyre boot

I have not yet been in a situation where I was caught wanting. As PhilpV mentioned, leave the sealant, that is a mess waiting to happe. Just make sure it is regularly topped up, and the day you do run out - well that is what spare tubes are for.

Learn to use a chain tool, plug a puncture in a tubeless tyre, put in a spare tube, and replace a deraillieur hanger, cable, as well as brake pads. All very simple to do once you have done it once.

Never thought of this before...so bit of a :ph34r:  type question.

Where do you buy spare cleat screws?  

Someone has previously mentioned that some bolts on a bike are universal (might have been a rotor screw) - will that also be the same as a cleat screw?

Normal nut and bolt place?

Never thought of this before...so bit of a :ph34r: type question.

Where do you buy spare cleat screws?

Someone has previously mentioned that some bolts on a bike are universal (might have been a rotor screw) - will that also be the same as a cleat screw?

Normal nut and bolt place?

I've never personally needed the spare before but it has helped someone else out before, so I recon worth carrying. My brother had a loose cleat screw which fell out, it meant that he could clip out at all, the shoes just turned and cleat stayed in the pedal - got him home that day.

I have replaced a few cleats over the years, so got plenty of those extra bits and pieces lying around - I didn't shop especially for it.

Yes there are some universal sizes, I believe it is the same thread as a bottle cage screw.

EDIT: Is it just me or was the "at the Cape Epic" part added later on to yout title.

For the Epic I wouldn't take my long hydration pack list, just the short "on the bike" list. On a long day out not racing the extra weight doesn't bother me.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

This also depends on if you're racing or just wanting to finish.

But you can still travel light in either case, taking into consideration your riding style and competence. Some people are very "heavy" on their bikes and have many issues. Pedal stroke, gearing and line picking can make a massive difference.

So, for example, in all my years of events, I think i've had like 3 punctures. And the Cape is rough and tough and rocky!

Prep your bikes accordingly before each ride and you should be fine. As a hubber said, there are mechanics at most water points for emergency cases. This might mean a longer bike jog, but hey, the Epic is an adventure.

Anyway, the lists above cover it pretty well - you need to choose taking all into account.

Enjoy and good luck

Awesome, thanks for the responses everyone! Those lists pretty much summarize what we're planning on bringing (at least some combination thereof...final combo TBD depending on weight and our comfort once we get out on the trails in S Africa).

What does everyone prefer re: tyre choice? Thinking of running Shwalbe tubeless snakeskins. Maybe some Racing Ralphs or even Nobby Nics for puncture protection.

I've never personally needed the spare before but it has helped someone else out before, so I recon worth carrying. My brother had a loose cleat screw which fell out, it meant that he could clip out at all, the shoes just turned and cleat stayed in the pedal - got him home that day.

I have replaced a few cleats over the years, so got plenty of those extra bits and pieces lying around - I didn't shop especially for it.

Yes there are some universal sizes, I believe it is the same thread as a bottle cage screw.

EDIT: Is it just me or was the "at the Cape Epic" part added later on to yout title.

For the Epic I wouldn't take my long hydration pack list, just the short "on the bike" list. On a long day out not racing the extra weight doesn't bother me.

It's not just you - the 'at the cape epic' part was added in somehow...but not by me haha 

Awesome, thanks for the responses everyone! Those lists pretty much summarize what we're planning on bringing (at least some combination thereof...final combo TBD depending on weight and our comfort once we get out on the trails in S Africa).

What does everyone prefer re: tyre choice? Thinking of running Shwalbe tubeless snakeskins. Maybe some Racing Ralphs or even Nobby Nics for puncture protection.

Racing Ralphs are a bit short on traction on occasion - I like a Rocket Ron on the rear and a Nobby Nic on the front for Epic - snakeskin of course.

Had a ride this afternoon and one of the guys got a small sidewall tear - those are difficult to repair! It was too big for a plug, so we tried installing a boot / gator but the sealant makes it difficult for it to stick inside. And once the tire / rim seal was broken we couldn't get it reseated anyway, even with CO2. So it seems like having a spare tube (which we didn't) is the way to go in cases like these.

Someone mentioned being “heavy” on your bike. This should not be under estimated. If you shift down halfway up the hill while standing and hammering the pedals you are bound to break your chain, deraileur or both. I lost count how many broken chains I have seen in races just on the other side of a dip in the trail ten metres or so up the other side. Look after your equipment and you reduce the chances of having trouble dramatically. Good luck!!

Personally I wouldn't go with the Schwalbe's for the Epic.  They don't handle our rocks well in terms of sidewall strength.  Seen far too many of them sliced open.  I know JHB guys love them, but they don't do well in the Cape.