1.9 rear. are they obsolete for mtb.

StephanvanWyk

I've been given a new 1.9 tyre which I want to put on the back. Front tyre is 2.1.

I see the trend is going in the direction of wider tyres say 2.2 to 2.25. At most I ride dirt road and farm tracks but seldom gnarly single downhill rocky descents. Would appreciate some thoughts on the subject of skinny tyre like a 1.9.

Throw it in the bin. Wider = more comfort and lower rolling resistance in MTB / gravel situations. Same reason that road cycling is seeing a movement towards 28/35c. Wider = better. 

Or, fit it and pomp it superhigh and watch it jarr the hell out of your ride when compared to a higher volume tyre. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I've been given a new 1.9 tyre which I want to put on the back. Front tyre is 2.1.

I see the trend is going in the direction of wider tyres say 2.2 to 2.25. At most I ride dirt road and farm tracks but seldom gnarly single downhill rocky descents. Would appreciate some thoughts on the subject of skinny tyre like a 1.9.

Great for muddy conditions and gravel roading. If dirt road and farm track is your thing then that's a valid option

Maybe insert foamo. I believe contact patch (and pressure) should be proportional to rider mass. If you're a skinny... Skinny is fine at skinny pressures. Don't listen to Myles. He rides 650b still. Such a (k)noob.

Listen to the Captain. I will take those obsolete 1.9 & 2.1 off your hands... Before your friends laugh at your skinny tyres. ;-)

Out of a comfort point of view, get yourself nice 2.25. 

But if it was free, ride it and save for new wide tyres.