Fork offset

ZXR

What would be the effect be on the handling of my bike if I go from a 100mm travel fork with a 42mm offset to a 120mm travel fork with 51mm offset.

The bike is a 2019 Specialized Epic.

Thanks

What would be the effect be on the handling of my bike if I go from a 100mm travel fork with a 42mm offset to a 120mm travel fork with 51mm offset.

Thanks

Why do you want to make this change?

The additional 20mm will make both head angle and seat tube angle about 1deg slacker, thus it will move sadle further behind cranks. Thus to stay in same pedal position, you must slide saddle fwd again. This make effective reach shorter. 

The handlebar height you should be able to adjust back down or keep at same spot depending on steerer length or preference etc.This height (stack height) also effects effective reach.

It will also raise BB by between 5-10mm. 

The increased fork offset reduces trail, and will make bike ever so slightly less stable (there are many claims/opinions on this on the internet)

The increased fork offset will increase wheelbase ever so slightly. 

You can check geometry charts of standard Epic vs Epic EVO to see the actual numbers. 

Thanks

The additional 20mm will make both head angle ............

You can check geometry charts of standard Epic vs Epic EVO to see the actual numbers. 

At 20mm you are not going to notice any of the changes that you mention.

Slacker head angle will make bike more stable (but you won't notice it at 20mm)

You will notice the extra 20mm in travel though.

Edited by porqui

At 20mm you are not going to notice any of the changes that you mention.

Slacker head angle will make bike more stable (but you won't notice it at 20mm)

You will notice the extra 20mm in travel though.

I just stated everything that it affects. Facts. Cause people tend to forget the ripple effect of changes like these. 

How noticeable they are, depends on the rider. 

• 2 weeks later...

More info please!!

edit: added please

Ok, not sure how much can be ascribed to the fork itself, went from a Rocshock Reba RL to a Fox SC 34 Factory, for starters, the bike is rock solid in front, you don't have to ride around rocks and other obstacles, you go over them, other than that the bike is super stable and holds it line well in corners.

I have not noticed any difficulty in the slow tight stuff either.