Rockshox Fork - Cable Lockout

BikeisLife

Hello hubbers :clap:

Wonder if anyone has any idea on how to fix my not so big problem...

I have a Rockshox Sid SE (2019) with a motion control damper that has a push-to-unlock remote on it.

I ride mostly in the unlocked position but when I do decide to lock out the fork and shock, the fork cable doesn't want to release and gets 'sticky'. I give a little tug on the cable at the damper side and it releases but I can feel that there's quite a bit of friction which is obviously why it doesn't spring back.

I took the cable out yesterday and removed the top cap and put a little bit of grease on the cap to try alleviate some friction but it didn't help much.

Tried to search the web but can't seem to find any help there obviously because it's a new fork and I think it only comes out on the Trek Top Fuel 2019 models (could be wrong).

I've attached a picture of the top cap and can load some more this evening.

Any help/advice would be gladly appreciated :thumbup:9e4687d1d0e846033c52c203556cb1e1.jpg

Edited by BikeisLife

Seems the cable is not routed correctly, look on the side of the lockout and make sure the cable it going through the little hole in that cap

There could be gunk build up inside the cable housing that could cause a lockout to not release until "helped" (overcoming the static friction coefficient)

Mine is permanently unlocked. Can't see why you would want to lock a fork. It is designed to travel and give maximum traction on the front wheel but traveling. It makes your cockpit neater too without the extra lever. I also found the rockshox lever very sensitive so it would release and lock the fork with the smallest of knocks. Been riding like this unlocked for ages and never miss the lock setting

post-61451-0-97556000-1550045034_thumb.jpg

Mine is permanently unlocked. Can't see why you would want to lock a fork. It is designed to travel and give maximum traction on the front wheel but traveling. It makes your cockpit neater too without the extra lever. I also found the rockshox lever very sensitive so it would release and lock the fork with the smallest of knocks. Been riding like this unlocked for ages and never miss the lock setting

Different strokes for .....

Seems the cable is not routed correctly, look on the side of the lockout and make sure the cable it going through the little hole in that cap

Routed correctly, I can't see any other way it can be routed. 

There could be gunk build up inside the cable housing that could cause a lockout to not release until "helped" (overcoming the static friction coefficient)

Will try replace the housing and report back.

I don't use it too often but I do use it when doing big out of saddle efforts, especially on tar. 

I don't use it too often but I do use it when doing big out of saddle efforts, especially on tar. 

Are you using a Mountain bike on tar?!

Double check that, if the cable is not 100% in the little groove it catches on the "lip" at the bottom.

Take a pic from the side so we can the routing

Applying that logic to another common bicycle component - why would you want a dropper post?

Versatility of course. Not all routes are flat/rocky/uphill/downhill from start to finish.

It sounds like a part of your experience is based on having what also sounds like a faulty lockout lever.

If you replace the housing alone, consider submerging the cable in something like thinners for a moment and letting it air dry completely. If there was any PTFE coating before, its already largely void with a mucked housing and dirty cable. For what it is worth, a cable could look perfectly clean and still stick inside housing. I hope this solves your lockout sticking!

Welcome to the land of cable remotes. They suck. Almost universally.

Make sure the cables are clean, free of kinks, moving freely and correctly routed.

Clean out any grease you've put in there, it'll only attract dirt and wear things out.

Dissasemble and reinstall the remote assembly according to manufacturer's instructions. Avoid Youtube mechanics or any other third party advice. While you're there, check that the spring tension is sufficient to pull the cable back.

Also, if the lockout lever operates the shock as well, it may be the shock cable preventing everything from returning. The same instructions apply to the shock remote.

Last one, and this applies to anything bike-related - avoid pressure washers, unless you want to become your LBS's best customer.

The cable must in the little groove and it often gets out of it during install and lies where the Blue line is and not the red must also not touch the "lip" like circled.

post-31289-0-38058100-1550049877_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the land of cable remotes. They suck. Almost universally.

Make sure the cables are clean, free of kinks, moving freely and correctly routed.

Clean out any grease you've put in there, it'll only attract dirt and wear things out.

Dissasemble and reinstall the remote assembly according to manufacturer's instructions. Avoid Youtube mechanics or any other third party advice. While you're there, check that the spring tension is sufficient to pull the cable back.

Also, if the lockout lever operates the shock as well, it may be the shock cable preventing everything from returning. The same instructions apply to the shock remote.

Last one, and this applies to anything bike-related - avoid pressure washers, unless you want to become your LBS's best customer.

Do you know where I can find the breakdown of the motion control cable damper? I've searched and can't seem to find the one on my fork. 

It's not the shock, that returns freely while to fork stays unlocked...

I stay away from pressure washers and only use a brush and a hose on soft pressure.

Do you know where I can find the breakdown of the motion control cable damper? I've searched and can't seem to find the one on my fork. 

It's not the shock, that returns freely while to fork stays unlocked...

I stay away from pressure washers and only use a brush and a hose on soft pressure.

www.sram.com