Routes in Pretoria East

Tyronne Engelbrecht

Hey Guys 

My wife and I have recently joined the cycling fraternity and have been looking for new routes and trail to explore.

We are based in Silverlakes and have not yet invested in a bike rack so for the moment we can't pack up the bikes and head to a trail. Could any of you recommend routes or trails in the area, we are both still very much novices so nothing too technical.

We both have MTB bikes but like I said not very confident in our abilities.

Look forward to some suggestions.

TIA

If you're cycling from Silverlakes the easiest would be to head out to the Cowhouse in Hazeldean. Go down Silverlakes Drive towards the Curro school, turn right at the end of the road, and then just go straight until you reach the dirt road. Carry on with that road until you hit a T-Junction where you will then have the entrance to the Cowhouse. Pay for your pass and then go explore!

Hi

Obvious ones would be Cowhouse at Hazeldean Market and Rosemary Hill (there are backroads / trails so that you can ride to RH).

There are also some club rides from bike shops in the area - they would be able to provide more information.

Join Pembi Group (Pretoria East MTB)on fb - they have occasional outrides as well.

Enjoy

Pembi +1 (not that I use vleisboek or cycle with any of them  :whistling:.)

Group rides is a good idea to teach you the various routes and give you more confidence. LCC down on Lynnwood road gives you free year passes to a few parks if you join them. Membership  not compulsory to join  ;)

Follow me on Strava and get 90% of the routes in and around your area  :thumbup:  

Some great riding here in PTA East. As mentioned above, Cowhouse and Rosemary hill are reachable by cycling there and back. Good fun. But if you want to explore a bit, use the heat maps feature on Strava or Suunto (i'm sure Garmin also has a version) and check out the Bashewa and Tierpoort rea out on Garsfontein Road. So many km's of dirt roads. Not technical but not very exciting also ;) perfect for group rides. Let us know when you discover FTW hill ;) Then as your reach increases, you can cycle to oxbow country estate on dirt road. Group rides good idea here.

You can also check out Wolwespruit, near Kloof hospital - great technical trails and nice elevation. Also TAF (Tierpoort Adventure Farm) out east - beautiful trails.

Tierpoort Adventure Farm is quite nice. It is also good for improving your skills and fitness.

Very nice for trail riding.