Garmin controling Smart trainer

Dexter-morgan

Good day All you hubbers, yesterday I came across a youtube video showing how you can use a Garmin 520 to control a smart trainer, can anyone confirm is a Edge 130 would be able to do it as well?

Some of the review feedback says that they probably could have added many high-end features to the 130, but they purposefully held back on implementing it to protect the more premium units, like the 520+. So they would probably implement it easily if any of the other brands roll out that functionality at the entry-level pricepoint.

They just acquired TacX so watch that space

the 130 doesn't have the required chipset is what Garmin told me. It would need a hardware overhaul.

Min 520 to control a smart trainer

Sorry to hijack, but I am keen to get an opinion on how realistic the smart trainer experience is in preparing for a real ride?

I have been riding a few hills on the kickr over the past few weeks. Heart rate right up there, lots of sweat etc etc. Yesterday I went for a short lunchtime ride (on my mtb which is the same bike I use in the kickr) and rode one significantish hill, although very slowly and with a reasonable heart rate. Today my legs are sore, which they have not been after rides on the Kickr recently, although I have done regular rides with much higher elevation numbers.

Just wondering if I am wasting my time in the kickr.

Sorry to hijack, but I am keen to get an opinion on how realistic the smart trainer experience is in preparing for a real ride?

I have been riding a few hills on the kickr over the past few weeks. Heart rate right up there, lots of sweat etc etc. Yesterday I went for a short lunchtime ride (on my mtb which is the same bike I use in the kickr) and rode one significantish hill, although very slowly and with a reasonable heart rate. Today my legs are sore, which they have not been after rides on the Kickr recently, although I have done regular rides with much higher elevation numbers.

Have you set your metrics correctly in the software you are using?

i.e. garmin head unit, zwift, rouvy, tacx training app etc?

using an indoor trainer correctly definitely helps improve fitness, but there's no real substitute for riding hills.