Slight Knee Pain

dbotha

More in the front

Front and top is almost always a saddle that is too low.

Try raising it 5mm and see.

It could be any number of other things of course but if I were a betting man that would be my guess.

As the others said - a proper check up by a bike fit pro is the right thing to do but in a pinch the 5mm raise should relieve some of the pain.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stretch, before spending money. Especially your quads. They've probably shortened because you have been training more.

My knee pain has always been due to being stiff or immobile.

More in the front

Could be a meniscus tear, you should see an ortho to be sure. Simple xray or mri will confirm.

Pk

While this thread is still active...

Knee pain on the outside of the knee? Only after 30km+ rides (MTB)

My cleats are set with my heels pointing slightly inwards towards to the bike (duck foot)

All articles point to ITB, but not sure how to correct it

While this thread is still active...

Knee pain on the outside of the knee? Only after 30km+ rides (MTB)

My cleats are set with my heels pointing slightly inwards towards to the bike (duck foot)

All articles point to ITB, but not sure how to correct it

Stretch that ITB! There are several stretches - my favourite is the cross your leg push down on the outer knee stretch. Stretching will reduce the friction and resultant pain.

Try sitting on the end of a table with your leg supported behind the knee and your foot dangling free. Give the foot a shake and see where it settles naturally. Match your cleat angle to that natural angle.

Disclaimer: This is "internet advice" based on very little info :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the Doc, turns out I had an Inflamed Knee Tendon. 

A few exercises sorted it out (Lifting your sore leg up in the air while seated and then back slowly when your legs begins to feel weak, a few of these a day will help strengthen your tendon) :) 

Tendon can get inflamed due to sprints, thats my case :)

For those exploring the thread in the future haha! 

Unfortunately I saw this thread too late. Was gonna tell you that it sounded suspiciously like tendonitis.

All cyclists should be doing basic strength work, especially when upping the milage.

Eccentric quad work and gluet medius work are NB 

A few exercises sorted it out (Lifting your sore leg up in the air while seated and then back slowly when your legs begins to feel weak, a few of these a day will help strengthen your tendon) :)

Icing for 10-15 mins at a time would have been my first option in figuring out what could be wrong. If this doesn't work after a few attempts I then go see a doctor type person. I've not been to the doctor in a while and she's pleasing on the eye, I should go see her... anyway I digress ....

I did a 160km ride once and on the morning I felt my cleat was loose I just tightened up and off I went, holy moly what a dumbass move on my behalf I could walk for a week.....

But you live and you learn and yes sadly "As jy dom is moet jy...." 

I also had the same pain and tried all of the above suggestions, eventually what it boiled down to was the pressure in my rear shock was too low.

I also had the same pain and tried all of the above suggestions, eventually what it boiled down to was the pressure in my rear shock was too low.

That is a first for me!

What was the logic behind that?

That is a first for me!

What was the logic behind that?

Too much sag = slacked out STA?

Hi Guys!!

I would love to hear some opinions.

Recently, in the last 2 months or so, my left knee has been a little sore on and off the bike (Off the bike as in after rides) . Its not at all a sharp or bad pain, its literally just a noticeable type of ache. Its also not a ache where i need to stop riding or anything like that, its just notice and usually the slight ache disappears around after 6/7km of riding and there after i wont feel it for the rest of the ride and ill only feel it again after when sitting or lying down.

But again, its not very sore, its just noticeable.

I have upped my riding amount and i do know that that could have an effect in the knees, but i find it strange as its only the left knee. I also do know it could be a range of other factors but I'd maybe see if anyone else has experienced the same? 

Any ideas or recommendations would be awesome!

Thanks!! :clap:

Go see a good biokineticist. Most internet advice is worth what you pay for it...

Go see a good biokineticist. Most internet advice is worth what you pay for it...

I agree...had a niggle in the top right of my left knee...was doing cadence classes at westville...decided to book an appointment with Matt...money well spent.

Turns out ...because i hadnt stretch once since the day i started cycling (20 000 km later) it catches up with you...3 visits to Matt...he also  gave me a simple stretching routine..problem solved.