Bike packing the wild coast.

Davo 95

Hey Team, I was wondering if anyone has any experience travelling through the transkei and wild coast.

I'm looking at bike packing from port st John's to Morgan Bay.

Ideally I'd like to keep my route as coastal as possible and not have to constantly swing inland, anyone out there with any knowledge or topos for the tracks running through the wild coast, is it possible to keep my riding along the coast through trails and jeep tracks?

Thanks in advance, any info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Davideandreone

There will be times where you have to go at least 2 - 3 km inland. 

I'm super keen to do the same route and have run a fair bit around Mpande and PSJ.

Some nice long beach sections but also some unavoidable and serious climbs. I'd definitely keep the bike as light as possible and stay in backpackers etc rather than tenting.

I've done it in an adventure race before. There's a number of tidal rivers you need to swim across as boats aren't always on standby, especially during the week. Pack in a thick black bag to blow up and float your bike and kit across and hope the sharks aren't about.

The most beautiful place to ride a bike though... oh and check yourself for ticks every night.

Thanks for the reply buff, I guess the level of water from the tidals may also vary depending on rain conditions, but there is always the option to cycle back in if conditions aren't primo.

Otherwise I think I'll be packing my tent just incase.

We did the Wild Coast hike from PSJ to Coffee Bay last December and organised it making use of local facilities, i.e sleeping in the villages every night. We organised all this via a local tourist office who allocated us a guide to made sure we got to the right accommodation, as well as organised a local boat to cross all the required rivers. Think a similar process could work, even if you don't use the local guide. Worth exploring.

I have hiked this on more than one occasion and the timing at the rivers has to be spot on.  Even then it is not so safe as I have seen and know off first hand what comes out of the river mouths at low tide.

Be careful when crossing with a bike..... not worth it in my opinion - rust, salt aggressive climatic conditions for metal and of course aggressive monsters from the deep. 

We hiked from Dwesa Nature Reserve to Haga Haga (must be just over 100 km) and camped where we thought was appropriate :)

What an amazing adventure / experience!!

That was 15 years ago with a group of about 12 - so safety in numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

May/June can be the best time to go. Rain min and winds not toocrazy .I think youll have to do a 50-50 there on coastal vs inland routes .I know its rideable from Presleys bay (with single track on contour from Lwandile )to Mdumbi river ) ( eh crossing Mtata river mouth could be tuff if the boatmans not around) then dsitrict rd to HoHole in the Wall along the coast .After that dont cross at Hole in the Wall go up river  abit than a bike bash and then good single track/district rd till the back packers at AT WIld Lubanzi. After that I dont know .except 4km before the Haven there is a wicked descent down to the Mabshe river and a boat there to cross (that was 15 years ago tho )

There was a comment about salt and water and sand --pay heed .Tides vital for crossings -finding good water also a constant mission .And dont travel too much at night and not ona Friday or saturday night esp.

Go for it -it will be EPIC more then the epic.

I see there was a Bull shark drifting inside Vetches Pier the other day.  It has been observed previously.  Guess is it just looking for the odd pooch going for a swim in that region. Only about a meter deep.

So, when crossing rivers and the ferryman is late, wait even longer as time does not become the issue.

Take care.

• 2 weeks later...

:offtopic:

Zambezi shark (large!) seen again inside Vetches Pier in 1m of water yesterday.

Plenty people swimming (and doggie snacks) but................

Just saying. :whistling:

Edited by Sepia