[Event] Herald Cycle Tour 2019

Skubarra

(Can't help but notice the premier road cycle event in the Eastern Cape have never got much attention here on the bikehub)

But anyway, heading for Port Elizabeth this weekend to give this race a go. Looking forward to a race with different scenery than the brown dusty farmlands around Durbanville&Paarl.  :ph34r:

Any tips for a Herald CT noob? Seems like a fast race with no real big climbs but a number of rollers. 

YR says no wind to speak off on Sunday which is always a good thing  :thumbup:

Edited by Skubarra

I've only done it three times so far, so I wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of tips. Perhaps just be aware of slower riders from the short distance, in the last 20km? And some speed bumps, I think around 80km to 90km.

But so far I really enjoyed this race. It is pretty fast, especially if the wind is behind us from Maitlands.

I wonder what the start order will be - in A group we caught the ladies at around 50km last year, which resulted in a bit of a mess and some death stares.

I wonder what the start order will be - in A group we caught the ladies at around 50km last year, which resulted in a bit of a mess and some death stares.

Seeded in VB. I see from last year's results VB was quite small and scattered all over the place. Seriously considering to pitch up in A to avoid a long solo TT!

Good news for PPA members riding the Herald this weekend - your Herald result will count for your 2019 CTCT seeding when they do that "bump the PPA members seeding up" calculation on Monday.

Good news for PPA members riding the Herald this weekend - your Herald result will count for your 2019 CTCT seeding when they do that "bump the PPA members seeding up" calculation on Monday.

My Herald result is unlikely to help at all - been working to 1 or 2AM every day this week, drove to PE today, and now working again. Definitely not feeling fresh and fast. I might just be the guy in A falling asleep while riding...

Seeded in VB. I see from last year's results VB was quite small and scattered all over the place. Seriously considering to pitch up in A to avoid a long solo TT!

VA and VB start together. Try to get to the front part of the group as you approach Old Seaview rd and you should be OK if you stay on over the hills up to Kragga Kamma.

<Off topic>

I've only once not seen death stares from the ladies when A caught up. Tour Durban 2017 (I think) we caught up on the descend after uMhlanga, we had two rows going down, men on one side and ladies on the other. Commissaire was going crazy trying to tell us to bugger off while we were all having a fat chat. One of my better memories when it comes to races.

Only climbs to watch for are:

• Short, sharp Kicker (Longbarn) at ~16km
  • 1km climb (Lakeside) at ~22.5km
  • Maitlands at ~58.5km (1.7km @5%)

15-20kph Southwest forecast to help push you around the Marine to the finish

VA and VB start together. Try to get to the front part of the group as you approach Old Seaview rd and you should be OK if you stay on over the hills up to Kragga Kamma.

Tx PowerB. Now to google maps "Old Seaview rd"....

I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to road "racing" but I've done this twice and did my first Argus last year. I was faster in Cape Town. I know last year the weather was awesome in CT but the scenery made it so enjoyable and relaxing. I did note last year that winning time for both events was almost identical. Might have been same guy. I'm sure someone will correct that with a quick google. Because I'm terrified of riding on someone's wheel, I spent a lot of time all on my own in PE.

My Herald result is unlikely to help at all - been working to 1 or 2AM every day this week, drove to PE today, and now working again. Definitely not feeling fresh and fast. I might just be the guy in A falling asleep while riding...

Sucks when the job paying the bills interferes with your professional cycling career..

It's not often we get the full attention of local authorities with full road closures.  Yet for some reason this well organised well executed and enjoyable event seems to get less attention here than it deserves.  I know PE isn't the most glamorous destination in SA but it's an event well worth doing.  I took my Colnago Master out for it's longest run under my stewardship.  It clung onto the VA bunch for 20km and then suddenly the bike started going slower....here it is all cleaned up after but I couldn't find the problem

post-81229-0-14221500-1551069123_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waynemol

how did you enjoy the race?

It's not often we get the full attention of local authorities with full road closures.  Yet for some reason this well organised well executed and enjoyable event seems to get less attention here than it deserves.  I know PE isn't the most glamorous destination in SA but it's an event well worth doing.  I took my Colnago Master out for it's longest run under my stewardship.  It clung onto the VA bunch for 20km and then suddenly the bike started going slower....here it is all cleaned up after but I couldn't find the problem

That is a thing of beauty!!!!!

Because it is a great and well organised event!

There are many harder routes to make this event far harder but speaking to organisers they want to keep a balance between drawing the public and the racing guys which is admirable! The great thing for many CT riders is that it is now a qualifying event for the Cape Town Cycle Tour so this event will grow based on that I would presume.